[Eng sub] Hamadas trip to Enoshima

Dailymotion link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x37gcj ... ng-sub_fun

Website post link:

http://tofupandas.tumblr.com/post/12958 ... prise-trip

Hey there! Letting you guys know it’s subbed. This was alot of fun.

Awesome! Thanks for all your hard work, this is one of those episodes that really benefits from subs. :bow:

[quote="soudou":24u53yus]Awesome! Thanks for all your hard work, this is one of those episodes that really benefits from subs. :bow:[/quote:24u53yus]

Haha definitely. Such a content rich episode and i see both on facebook and reddit the amount of appreciation for the episode. it was really sought after. It was super fun.

Otviss thanks for the episode. :bow: ^_^

Many thanks for the subs.

Thanks for the subs. I think you could improve your subs by making the subs cover up as little of the original Japanese text as possible, because being able to see both the English subtitles and the original Japanese helps those of us who want to learn the kana/kanji that are being said.

I think Ni Oxx is right, covering kanji was a mistake actually.
But thanks for the subs and video.

[quote="Ni Oxx":ethhsyvw]Thanks for the subs. I think you could improve your subs by making the subs cover up as little of the original Japanese text as possible, because being able to see both the English subtitles and the original Japanese helps those of us who want to learn the kana/kanji that are being said.[/quote:ethhsyvw]

This is what i said to a guy who asked the same thing on facebook:

Copied text:

"You’re making a very good point… I’ll keep that in mind in the future. Though since we are aiming to maintain a certain quality to the episodes, having alot of text on the screen will make it very hard to read. This episode was a bit special regarding typesetting. We tried many new things with it. If watching our videos is a common source for you to learn japanese. You could send us an email or a message expressing that, and if you’re very optimistic about it. We could tailor subs for your needs only :) Thanks for the feedback."

It is a tough balance, I do like not covering up too much of the screen personally, since the Kanji already covers the cast members and about a third of the screen as it is, placing English above all that can take up half the screen which is a bit unfortunate, especially during close-ups. Soft subs may help with the cover-up though since you can enable/disable, or since raws are easily available, putting the raw and hardsub side-by-side windowed. Some people at a certain stage of learning actually prefer to not see English hardsubs and [url=http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?pid=156778#p156778:2bz0asu8]try to cover them up when a raw isn’t available[/url:2bz0asu8]. Where a raw is available, some watch it with the English once for a mental note then watch the raw (when I think back to anime I’ve watched with English subs, I don’t really think of the Japanese they said, but the English that I read them saying).

By the way, if you ever want to look up a Kanji on a raw, [url=http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/:2bz0asu8]Capture2Text[/url:2bz0asu8] is fantastic. I screenshot the video, take it into an image editor, use the Magic Wand tool (Fuzzy Select in GIMP) to select the text, then on a new layer fill that selection with black and delete the screenshot layer. That way I have black text on a white background and Capture2Text works very well with that setup (like with manga).

Yeah very good consideration soudou. I think what most people are troubled by is when the japanese text is within a box, square, rectangle. There’s no need to cover japanese text when it’s just a simple line or notice on the screen. But let’s say you have a a box appearing on the screen with alot of text and different explanations. too make it less cluttered, i put a filter on the background covering all japanese text and put english translation over it. In the end it wont change anything, It will only replace japanese with english with same kind of effects and font, making it visually appealing but most foremost EASY TO READ. Many people enjoy watching subbed videos for the translation and humour and not for education purposes. Like i said in my previous post: "You could send us an email or a message expressing that, and if you’re very optimistic about it. We could tailor subs for your needs only." <- If there’s a demand for this, i could definitely change a few things and send an .ass to those individuals.

But, well i’m not really sure. I’m thinking of making a feedback survey soon for the fans. I’ll add the question to it.

Yeah for the most part it’s just single lines and the English can sit comfortably under it which is great. Like you say, I’m mainly thinking of times when there’s double lines, large titles or labels. Or even when it’s a single line but they plonk it somewhere in the middle of all the action.

I’m very glad the on-screen Kanji exists though, they’re incredibly handy to look up stuff with on raws. Though I’m glad British TV doesn’t need that, I would find it super annoying if they burned in giant text on a third of the screen. :rofl: (Though enabling the hard of hearing captions is handy when you’re trying to watch TV quietly without headphones).

Just watched this and I can just say… thank you SO much for subbing this.

What a great episode! It must have been a lot of work because of all the dialogue.

[quote="soudou":1m6roerm]Though I’m glad British TV doesn’t need that, I would find it super annoying if they burned in giant text on a third of the screen. :rofl: (Though enabling the hard of hearing captions is handy when you’re trying to watch TV quietly without headphones).[/quote:1m6roerm]

I would actually prefer it! But then again, alot of japanese TV i’ve heard is over the top with humour thrown in there. I’ve seen instances where the on screen text actually strengthens the comical value of the line! Makes it funnier! Every time haha… I don’t know it would make TV much more interesting i feel. But you’re in the UK. All foreign programmes here in "Sweden" are subtitled. So you can comfortably watch them without sound.

[quote="Otviss":2g2isr43]I would actually prefer it! But then again, alot of japanese TV i’ve heard is over the top with humour thrown in there. I’ve seen instances where the on screen text actually strengthens the comical value of the line! Makes it funnier! Every time haha… I don’t know it would make TV much more interesting i feel.[/quote:2g2isr43]

I guess it’s like the canned laughter or no canned laughter thing, a lot of English comedy shows inject that because it makes it funnier for some but I can do without. Still I don’t let it stop me, IT Crowd is an awesome series for example that happens to have canned laughter.

[quote:2g2isr43]But you’re in the UK. All foreign programmes here in "Sweden" are subtitled. So you can comfortably watch them without sound.[/quote:2g2isr43]

Foreign films have subtitles here, I’ve watched a number of those, I guess there’s not many foreign TV series though.

The role of subtitles varies between countries and cultures.
Many times in Japanese TV the original subtitles are to emphasize the joke or they just have an esthetic function to look cool. When some challenge is described, both the narrator and the subtitles say exactly the same thing, sometimes with some tiny extra word or change but absolutely the exact same meaning. In that case I find that putting the same sentence twice onscreen is unnecessary. Other than that they’re great, and as you said, a nice balance between user-friendliness and authenticity :)

Good point, I have noticed when they do that narrator thing heh. :lol:

They’re definitely valuable for sure though, I agree. With Japanese it seems there’s a lot more words that sound the same, so those Kanji help remove some ambiguity. Sometimes that happens with English and the confusion is utilized in comedy such as in this [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaGpaj2nHIo:3ovdd2hs]famous Two Ronnies skit[/url:3ovdd2hs]. However I suppose there’s a greater variety in pronunciation with English (e.g. the lead of a pencil vs the lead in a race) which helps to remove ambiguity in most cases.

Plus it’s sad how hard it is to find transcripts for Japanese variety shows compared to J-Drama or anime. Those on-screen subtitles are often all I have to go on.