(EN Sub) Matsumoto commenting on Hamada's affair

Hello.

Here’s a clip of Matsumoto either commenting or making fun of Hamada’s cheating affair.

http://www.shibatabread.com/2014/07/sub ... ng-on.html

Enjoy,

I find the attitude between the duo very, very wierd. Matsumoto being "amused" by the fact his (best) friend gets caught having affair? Sick stuff.

Thank you Shibatabread! Interesting to finally understand Matsumoto’s comments.

Ultimately he’s a comedian so he’s going to take the pee out of stuff even if it’s a controversial topic… By the way, I think this also came up on Higashino’s Kansai-based talk show Marco Polori which Housei is often a guest on. I’m guessing maybe Higashino focused largely on how Hamada’s wife dealt with it as in Shibatabread’s sub though, I think Housei said at the end something like "Natsumi-san (Hamada’s wife) is amazing".

[video:30k5u3ps]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqspBrN91pM[/video:30k5u3ps]

In the second clip where matsumoto said he has to apologize like Chage is there any link where he did that?

[quote="Fengson":mye633ul]I find the attitude between the duo very, very wierd. Matsumoto being "amused" by the fact his (best) friend gets caught having affair? Sick stuff.[/quote:mye633ul]

Yeah, I’ve been thinking this also. I can’t really understand wether he is trying some weird persistence thing in order to tire things out, or he is just amused, it’s really odd.

[quote="Fengson":1o0du13e]I find the attitude between the duo very, very wierd. Matsumoto being "amused" by the fact his (best) friend gets caught having affair? Sick stuff.[/quote:1o0du13e][quote="Hidensetsu":1o0du13e]

Yeah, I’ve been thinking this also. I can’t really understand wether he is trying some weird persistence thing in order to tire things out, or he is just amused, it’s really odd.[/quote:1o0du13e]
Ya’ll acting like someone had died. He’s just trying to take the weight off the issue. It’s not the end of the world.

[quote="Fengson":1v9x5qqj]I find the attitude between the duo very, very wierd. Matsumoto being "amused" by the fact his (best) friend gets caught having affair? Sick stuff.[/quote:1v9x5qqj]

Matsumo it’s a master on reverse psychology! Everything he did there, was for more than getting laughs or making fun of Hamada’s situation. ;)

So don’t worry about it.

Also I noted that whenever the topic went on to Hamada’s wife, Matsumoto largely stayed out of the discussion (except when he could turn it into a comment on Hamada). Just a guess but that might be because she is not someone he is familiar with in the comedy business that he can feel free to make jokes about, compared to Hamada as his comedy business partner (‘friend’ seems a controversial topic in itself these days).

I think he is respectful of her and mainly playing to his expected role as a comedian, especially on shows that have non-comedian guests to handle the more serious talk. He may also know Hamada would expect it from him, just a guess, but thinking back on the extreme pranks Downtown pulled early in their career on Housei, they weren’t to know he’d be OK with such ridicule/disruption, they were just familiar enough with him to expect him to be OK with it. So I just assume it’s the same here between Hamada and Matsumoto.

By the way I’m assuming the bit about Chage was just another cynical joke but could be wrong.

this year’s batsu game will be interesting. :)
we might see perverted jokes being used agaisnt hamada and endo.

[quote="Fengson":9on25peq]I find the attitude between the duo very, very wierd. Matsumoto being "amused" by the fact his (best) friend gets caught having affair? Sick stuff.[/quote:9on25peq]
I’d bet anything they obviously discussed it together (also with producers and their staff) beforehand and they both agreed on how to handle this. And Matsumoto’s approach clearly working well. I mean look at the show host when he goes in the usual politely boring (and often insincere) way of "… but his wife is taking it bravely" which ultimately goes nowhere and doesn’t help anyone but the tabloids and gossipers.

So Matsumoto takes this and completely turns it around with the private investigators and stuff and rides Hamada hard and makes fun of him in a such way that at the end you feel sorry for Hamada. You could say Matsumoto takes part of the flak for him by being this "harsh". And more importantly eventually by ridiculing the whole affair ad absurdum he turns a tabloid taboo topic that would hurt their popularity in the another running gag like with Chiaki and Endo.

[quote="Stycki":2wv3yldd][quote="Fengson":2wv3yldd]I find the attitude between the duo very, very wierd. Matsumoto being "amused" by the fact his (best) friend gets caught having affair? Sick stuff.[/quote:2wv3yldd]
I’d bet anything they obviously discussed it together (also with producers and their staff) beforehand and they both agreed on how to handle this. And Matsumoto’s approach clearly working well. I mean look at the show host when he goes in the usual politely boring (and often insincere) way of "… but his wife is taking it bravely" which ultimately goes nowhere and doesn’t help anyone but the tabloids and gossipers.

So Matsumoto takes this and completely turns it around with the private investigators and stuff and rides Hamada hard and makes fun of him in a such way that at the end you feel sorry for Hamada. You could say Matsumoto takes part of the flak for him by being this "harsh". And more importantly eventually by ridiculing the whole affair ad absurdum he turns a tabloid taboo topic that would hurt their popularity in the another running gag like with Chiaki and Endo.[/quote:2wv3yldd]

i agree, adisussion must have taken place. And matsumoto would never do that without hamada’s permission, he respects him too much.

I’m thinking Hamada already knew Matsumoto would joke that hard about the situation, but knowing that Matsumoto respects Hamada a lot, then he was most likely with it.

[quote="Stycki":7spr4swi][quote="Fengson":7spr4swi]I find the attitude between the duo very, very wierd. Matsumoto being "amused" by the fact his (best) friend gets caught having affair? Sick stuff.[/quote:7spr4swi]

So Matsumoto takes this and completely turns it around with the private investigators and stuff and rides Hamada hard and makes fun of him in a such way that at the end you feel sorry for Hamada. You could say Matsumoto takes part of the flak for him by being this "harsh". And more importantly eventually by ridiculing the whole affair ad absurdum he turns a tabloid taboo topic that would hurt their popularity in the another running gag like with Chiaki and Endo.[/quote:7spr4swi]

I don’t know about the "previous discussion" thing, but I agree with the part where he tried to get the boredom or seriousness of the talk by going harsh on Hamada. It’s an odd reaction but in all its weirdness it works. It’s nice to see that some of the old random Matsumoto still alive in him.