Samurai films

id like to know wat u guy think are the top ten samurai films.

Definitely the movies directed by Akira Kurosawa: 7 Samurai, Rashomon, and Yojimbo.

Zatoichi by Beat Takeshi was pretty good too.

There is no samurai in Rashomon.

There is Lone Wolf and Cub.

Hmmm, lemmezee…

·Hiroshi Inagaki - The Samurai trilogy (the story of Musashi Miyamoto starred by Toshiro Mifune)

·Masaki Kobayashi - Seppuku

·Akira Kurosawa - Seven Samurai , Ran , Kagemusha , Yojimbo

·Kenji Mizoguchi - The Crucified Lovers , Tales of Ugetsu

·Yôji Yamada - Love and Honor , The Hidden Blade (I’m sorry, I didn’t like The Twilight Samurai that much)

·Takashi Koizumi - After the Rain (script by Kurosawa)

·Yôjirô Takita - When the Last Sword is Drawn (a BEAUTIFUL one from the director of Departures)

·Takeshi Kitano - Zatôichi (yes, it’s really entertaining)

And many other titles.

I can only make a top 10 based on what I’ve seen so far(I’ll try not to name any titles already mentioned before, but it will be difficult, since there are already many good ones listed):

Sanjuro(sequel of Yojimbo)
Shinsengumi - Band of Assassins(I got a thing for Shinsengumi :lol: )
Furin Kazan - Samurai Banners(a bit long, only for those who’re really into samurai stuff)
Samurai Fiction(A must see!!!)
Ako-Jo Danzetsu - The fall of Ako Castle(based on the 47 ronin story)
Chusingura - 47 Ronin(a more realistic retelling of the story)
Kagemusha
Shogun’s Samurai - The Yagyu Clan Conspiracy
Samurai Wolf
Samurai Spy

It’s a shame they don’t make 'em like they used to…
Japan needs to put out more high budged chambara flicks, I’m getting tired of all these horrors and anime-to-live action budget stuff.
Just imagine what they could produce if they had a Prince of Persia budget to work with…

i just saw The last samurai, very nice

[quote="momog":2fu7jlpt]i just saw The last samurai, very nice[/quote:2fu7jlpt]
LOL! I hearken back to Chappelle’s Show when Paul Mooney said "The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise?..What’s next? ‘The Last N*gga on Earth’ featuring Tom Hanks?"

I love The Samurai Trilogy, the 3-part story of Musashi Miyamoto. Like most older Samurai movies, the action felt authentic because there were no CG, wire work, or any fancy special FX. The director did a great job of building up the tension during Musashi’s 1on1 battles, and didn’t try to compensate with over-the-top and unrealistic fencing where the swords meet each other 500 times and end up undamaged. Also, the story was incredibly romantic.
I also like When the Last Sword is Drawn. It’s a bit long, but I think Samurai fans will appreciate the amazing story and great action. It’s the REAL "Last Samurai" movie.

Just go through Toshiro Mifune’s film catalog and you are pretty good to go.

1. Seppuku by Masaki Kobayashi
  2. Samurai Rebellion also by Masaki Kobayashi
  3. Yojimbo by Akira Kurosawa
  4. Sanjuro also by Akira Kurosawa
  5. Seven Samurai also by Akira Kurosawa
  6. Sword of Doom with Toshiro Mifune and Tatsuya Nakadai
  7. Musashi trilogy with Toshiro Mifune
  8. The Hidden Fortress by Akira Kurosawa

I don’t have a number 9 and 10, I can’t come up with a title that I have enjoyed as much as the above titles.

13 Assassins by Takashi Miike

I Saw it at TIFF and it was pretty freaking awesome. who doesn’t love a 45min battle scene? – doesn’t hurt that he is my favorite director though :clap:

[quote="Sykosomatix":3uh3cf1u]13 Assassins by Takashi Miike

I Saw it at TIFF and it was pretty freaking awesome. who doesn’t love a 45min battle scene? – doesn’t hurt that he is my favorite director though :clap:[/quote:3uh3cf1u]

Yeah, can’t wait to see that one myself.

A bit off topic, but Miike is one of my fav directors. Everyone that liked Yojimbo should check out Sukiyaki Western Django, which is a remake of Django, which is a remake of A Fist Full of Dollars, which is a remake of Yojimbo :P
Epic Miike movie!

Seven Samurai is hands down the best samurai film. Two other great ones are Twilight Samurai and Yojimbo.

[quote="Ssshhtt":t8pqw0op]1. Seppuku by Masaki Kobayashi

I don’t have a number 9 and 10, I can’t come up with a title that I have enjoyed as much as the above titles.[/quote:t8pqw0op]

Great list

– 22.10.2011, 17:26 –

[quote="Ssshhtt":t8pqw0op]1. Seppuku by Masaki Kobayashi

I don’t have a number 9 and 10, I can’t come up with a title that I have enjoyed as much as the above titles.[/quote:t8pqw0op]

Great list

I watch last Samurai,Samurai Wolf, Samurai Spy and Twilight Samurai. I like these films. These are my best films ever.