2011 Batsu Game Live Subbing Group Recruiting/Ideas

While its about 5 months away until air date, and at least 3 months until we even know what kind of batsu game (if one happens) will be played, I’d like to officially propose that, provided a streaming site is secure from Japan: a "Live Sub" group should be formed in preparations for this year’s Batsu game. Last year, me and Hakatatorimon along with some other anons all worked together to subtitle (in GNTchat) the Spy batsu game as it aired live from Japan. This year, I’d like to do the same but with some more organization and rules set down for usage of the chat during the airing and in doing so, share those ideas and see if there are any recommendations from the community at large as to what would be best in preparing for this event.

[b:2ou7rzni]1) [/b:2ou7rzni][b:2ou7rzni]Consider this the first issuing of requests for subtitlers![/b:2ou7rzni] I will guarantee my services for at least a few hours of the batsu game, but the only problem is that it airs starting at 4:30am at my local time and I normally hit my limit at 8am so I doubt I would be able to stay for the whole game (but I will try). With that in mind, I am looking for at minimum one other subtitler all the way to up to 12 subtitlers. If it’s just one other person besides me, what we’ll do is announce our font and colors here in forum and on chat and we’ll split the duties. One person will subtitle Downtown and Yamazaki. The other person will sub Cocorico, all signs, and narrator announcements. At best, we would have 12 subtitlers with 6 working at a time in shifts. 5 people would sub each one of the cast members, and the 6th one would handle all signage, narrator comments, and could do background lookups on who the celebrities and comedians are as they make their cameo appearences and provide information about what shows, etc that the batsu game might be spoofing at that time. We could either switch shifts between each commercial or into one hour blocks. [b:2ou7rzni][u:2ou7rzni]In any case, if you are a Japanese English bilingual speaker native, currently learning and have gotten past your third year of college level Japanese education, etc: please do message me about helping out and providing a great service to our fellow Gaki fans.[/u:2ou7rzni][/b:2ou7rzni]

[b:2ou7rzni]2)[/b:2ou7rzni] [u:2ou7rzni]These are the rules I propose for GNTchat at that time.[/u:2ou7rzni]
[list:2ou7rzni][:2ou7rzni]The chat link will be removed from the home page at about 1 hr prior to airing and put behind a forum post or something else on the home page saying that anyone who wishes to join us on chat tonight will have to read and agree to the rules of the Live Subbing Format.[/:m:2ou7rzni]
[:2ou7rzni]The only subbing that will occur will be in English. If there are others who are interested in subtitles in another language other than English should find their own subbers start their own chat room (or request that one be made for them) at least 1 day prior to the airing of the Batsu Game and that link can be advertised here on the GNT forums for them.[/:m:2ou7rzni]
[:2ou7rzni]No one is allowed to talk while the show airs and subbing is taking place. Anyone making any comments that do not correct the mistakes of a subber or provide insight into what the joke is about and helps to explain the joke face banning from the chat room. Commercials are the only time nonsubbers may freely talk. Likewise, once commercials are done, no one has to tell everyone else to be quiet, its assumed that all nonsubbers will stop typing and the subbers will resume their duties.[/:m:2ou7rzni]
[:2ou7rzni]Anons and non regular chat members will be allowed. The reason for this: I first started on the fly subbing as an anon and if I were not allowed to say anything using GNTchat…yeah…Spy Batsu would have been much harder to take care of last year. Likewise, in the event that these plans fall to pieces…we at least have a chance for an anon to speak up. [/:m:2ou7rzni]
[:2ou7rzni]We as a group will not be responsible for developing subs for distribution. Some of us may be apart of that group, but we are not in charge of it. Please don’t ask us about it.[/:m:2ou7rzni]
[:2ou7rzni]We will make mistakes as a group of volunteer subbers, so content will vary between what we say in the live sub vs distribution subs since we don’t have much time to use dictionaries and other aids.[/:m:2ou7rzni][/list:u:2ou7rzni]

With that, I’d like to hear any other suggestions that could make this group a success and a new tradition for each Batsu Game to come.

英語と日本語のバイリンガル方々にお知らせいたします。私は2011の罰ゲームのためのライブサッブグループを樹立したいと思っております。世界のために日本のお笑い文化を広がりたい方々、このフォラムのメセージシスタムでぜひご連絡して下さい。

lol so early ?? :D :D

O totally agree with all what you said,

here are my suggests :

to make it easier I suggest you create an Irc chat so we wont get annoyed by anonymous newbies. (and chatango doesn’t work for everyone :?: :?: )

and to make it easier for the post-batsu subbers , I suggest that someone records the live subs to make the full batsu subs available a bit sooner ;)

I was already planning to record the live translations and join it together with the batsu afterwards. Using an IRC chat is a must for that though so if no one else wants to do it, I’ll get one up and running. Also I’m planning to restream the Batsu atleast 2 times since (If it’s broadcasted on Justin.tv again) the stream will hit the viewercap pretty fast like last year.

OMG, I love you. I am so new to this. I’ll be looking forward to seeing it.

After 2 years experimenting live batsu game subbing, the website surely must go professional now dealing with this.

Your suggestion wing are wonderful, but let me clarify a few points:

1. We will remove the "register to view links" thing. A lot of members are experimenting problems to login or to register, and we don’t want them to miss the next batsu game because of that.

2. I personally don’t think IRC would be a good idea. Some newbies can’t even see the registration code while it’s written in big red font on the mainpage, and you want them to join an IRC server? The chatbox would be just fine IMO.

3. If we have enough subbers, we could consider that each one takes a member of the cast’s colour (red for macchan, green for yamasaki, etc) to make it easy to follow the translation.

4. Most likely, we will be watching on Justin.tv Usually, someone broadcasts it live from his channel and the quality is good/acceptable.

5. The translation of course will be in English. No "Lol", "LMAO", "HAHAHA" will be allowed while the batsu is on - you can yell and laugh as much as you want during the ads.

6. For members having problems accessing the live batsu we’ll probably embed it on the main page of the forum.

And of course be ready, 2 hours after the end of the batsu, for people asking for the full video and the subs.

But just to be clear: The video is usually available the day after the batsu. The full subs usually take 3 to 4 months to be completed. (Last year they were available in mid-march)

[b:1cscsk09]Any suggestion is welcome, we still have the time to organize it well ;)[/b:1cscsk09]

Without IRC there won’t be any "subtitled" video the day after. Atleast not from me. Both methods that I tested require IRC. Also I don’t really see your point since there are flash/java applets that use IRC technology that aren’t any more complicated than chatango. The pros of IRC are that you can put the chat on moderated mode which means nobody will be able to talk in between the translations because only the translators would be able to speak. During the ads you could lift that restriction.

On a different note: altough I am visiting Justin.tv regulary, I don’t know if there still is a viewer limit. As far as I know it is only gone from gaming channels. If it shouldn’t be broadcasted in the gaming section, I will restream it so everyone can watch it.

[quote="hand":b9jpiovj]Without IRC there won’t be any "subtitled" video the day after. Atleast not from me. Both methods that I tested require IRC. Also I don’t really see your point since there are flash/java applets that use IRC technology that aren’t any more complicated than chatango. The pros of IRC are that you can put the chat on moderated mode which means nobody will be able to talk in between the translations because only the translators would be able to speak. During the ads you could lift that restriction.

On a different note: altough I am visiting Justin.tv regulary, I don’t know if there still is a viewer limit. As far as I know it is only gone from gaming channels. If it shouldn’t be broadcasted in the gaming section, I will restream it so everyone can watch it.[/quote:b9jpiovj]

That’s one good point. If you can set up an IRC server I’ll try and see what I can do for a flash/java applet on the main page instead of the chatango box and we’ll test it before the batsu so we won’t have any bad surprise.

btw I would be interested to know about the two "methods" you experimented.

There are alot free IRC servers. I used to use Quakenet but any will do really.

Method 1: Live recording of both the Batsu and Chat where I put the chat over the Video with some nifty Chroma Key effect so only the text is visible.
Method 2: Parsing the logfile and create an .ass subfile out of it. I already work on a script to do that automaticlly.

I prefer Method 2.

Method 2 seems cleaner. In what language you’re designing the script?

Right now I’m (re)learning some php so I decided to do it in php as practice ;)

I would like to know if the project is still alive?

Okay so we will create a irc channel on any server and give +v to the translators. So everyone can read but noone will write beside those translators who have +v.

Nice idea about a script!

Thank you for all your hard work! :bow:

Surely simultaneous subbing is something tough as hell, and the subber himself cannot enjoy the show as much as the others because of the pressure . Therefore I’m x10 thankful to those of you who volunteer to do such job. According Kanzaki’s rule #5, it may be moments where we can’t hold ourselves, such as "The classics" (Chôno, Shin-onii, Itao, Tanaka’s thai kick…) but the respect for the subber and his work comes first.

That’s a nice idea, Erhan.

Also saving the chat log will save some time afterwards. It will surely take a lot of viewings to transcribe, research cultural issues and so on.

The translated version would come out in 10 minute segments as usual, isn’t it?

[quote="Kanzaki":23dab7og]
5) The translation of course will be in English. No "Lol", "LMAO", "HAHAHA" will be allowed while the batsu is on - you can yell and laugh as much as you want during the ads.[/b][/quote:23dab7og]

About rule 5) I suggest we create 2 IRC CHATS , The subbers will be using the first one to Live sub the batsu and only the subbers will be allowed to write on it, While the second one will be made for Live comments and "unholdable" reactions from the members … ;) ;)

And, the first Chat will make it easier for the subbers to record the Subs, as they wont have to scroll threw the recorded chat and delete all stupid comments made by the members. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

I hope you like my Idea,

Take care ;)

[quote="Kanzaki":2k94ysm2]After 2 years experimenting live batsu game subbing, the website surely must go professional now dealing with this.

1. We will remove the "register to view links" thing. A lot of members are experimenting problems to login or to register, and we don’t want them to miss the next batsu game because of that.[/b][/quote:2k94ysm2]

Thank God. I have issues being logged in everytime I come here. Yes, I click the "remember me" thing, but not everytime I post, but I have to keep signing in because nothing saves.

[quote="Yukito":2ze6mw8g][quote="Kanzaki":2ze6mw8g]After 2 years experimenting live batsu game subbing, the website surely must go professional now dealing with this.

1. We will remove the "register to view links" thing. A lot of members are experimenting problems to login or to register, and we don’t want them to miss the next batsu game because of that.[/b][/quote:2ze6mw8g]

Thank God. I have issues being logged in everytime I come here. Yes, I click the "remember me" thing, but not everytime I post, but I have to keep signing in because nothing saves.[/quote:2ze6mw8g]

Guests can now view all the links on the website without having to register ;)

I haven’t attended any of the live subs so far, eventhough I’m a member of the board for quite some time now.

How does the live subbing work ?
Do you have colors for the specific guys ?
Are you streaming the video with 2~3 seconds delay so the people who sub have some time to write and post their stuff ?

I’m curious !

So if there’s going to be an IRC channel, what’s going to go on with the actual room itself? I’m hoping it doesn’t get ignored, one of the great things about watching it last year was having people do the on-the-fly translations.

– 10.12.2011, 10:21 –

[quote="Ap2000":3jsawb3o]I haven’t attended any of the live subs so far, eventhough I’m a member of the board for quite some time now.

How does the live subbing work ?
Do you have colors for the specific guys ?
Are you streaming the video with 2~3 seconds delay so the people who sub have some time to write and post their stuff ?

I’m curious ![/quote:3jsawb3o]

Well last year there were different colors, but we didn’t have enough people translating to do one for each person. I thought that was the plan this year - one for each GnT member, plus one for everyone else. Not sure now, though. Of course, I’m nowhere on the pecking order. :D

Don’t hope something as smooth as the final subbed version. Delay, colour subs… What else? Try to play any film you haven’t seen before that is basically quick dialogues and type in a notepad what they’re saying without pressing pause or rewind. Please, keep in mind that it will be a rough translation to help us stay tuned of what is happening at that moment. It will be an exhausting job, and we don’t even know if we’ll have enough people throughout the [b:2kzzrbzj]six hours[/b:2kzzrbzj] that it will last. In case we get 3 subbers at the same time, it will be pretty easy to imagine something like #1 gets Matsumoto and Yamasaki, #2 gets Hamada and Cocorico and #3 guests and writen stuff… but WAY easier said than done.

The lag will depend on your internet connection. Personally, last year I got several seconds. Positive thing was to read the kind and soft words of Kanzaki when commercials were over saying: [size=200:2kzzrbzj][b:2kzzrbzj]"STFU!!!"[/b:2kzzrbzj][/size:2kzzrbzj] with enough anticipation :lol: .

I do hope nothing weird happens while the doors are wide opened.