Any books suitable for level JLPT N5 ?

Hey :)
I’m learning Japanese and I’m planning on taking JLPT N5 soon.
Are there any books (publishing house would be the best, but a single book will do as well) suitable for that level?
I don’t mind if it’s Harry Potter, or Justin Bieber’s autobiography. I just would love to grab a book written in Japanese and understand it…! :)

So, any books suitable for N5 level?
Cheers :)

[quote="Fengson":1gwapfxp]Hey :)
Are there any books (publishing house would be the best, but a single book will do as well) suitable for that level?
I don’t mind if it’s Harry Potter, or Justin Bieber’s autobiography. I just would love to grab a book written in Japanese and understand it…! :)

Cheers :)[/quote:1gwapfxp]
read raw manga 8)

I think you may be a little mistaken, Joker-San ;-)
Raw Manga contains 1000’s of words I cannot understand, most of them I’d say, so it’s no point. I need something like "penguin readers" in english, where there are books for every level - any ideas? :)

Joker isn’t really severely wrong. But i can see the point in too much unknown vocab, but how would you otherwise learn vocab? I don’t know how far you’re with the grammar, but basic suggestion would be Tae Kims Guide.
One method is to watch some stuff from j-addicts with Japanese subtitles. Watch animes with subtitles, and try to comprehend the words you always understand, and additionally learn new words.
Or do it, as I do : Watch Gaki no Tsukai, and learn Kanji compounds on the way.

And if this suggestions don’t get your attention as well, read books which are designated for kids. Really.
Or Watch Doreamon (with Jap. subtitles)

well, i dont learn how to read or write, i learn how to speak and listen 8)
manga is just a way to kill time for me 8)

So you’re saying, you understand, but can’t read Kanji at all, can you?

[quote="al4bandi":2a1g9cxk]So you’re saying, you understand, but can’t read Kanji at all, can you?[/quote:2a1g9cxk]
ye and i am proud of it 8)

– 30.11.2011, 19:48 –

i learn all from watching anime, reading manga, gaki videos 8)

[quote="al4bandi":1z4ifcsb]So you’re saying, you understand, but can’t read Kanji at all, can you?[/quote:1z4ifcsb]

And he does sub videos btw. We have a genius on the forum.

jk btw joker, takes way more to be a genius :rofl: I guess we can thank Google Translate haha

[quote="Kanzaki":3kwsp7km][quote="al4bandi":3kwsp7km]So you’re saying, you understand, but can’t read Kanji at all, can you?[/quote:3kwsp7km]

And he does sub videos btw. We have a genius on the forum.

jk btw joker, takes way more to be a genius :rofl: I guess we can thank Google Translate haha[/quote:3kwsp7km]
fyi i dont use any translate device, i self learn my japanese in 4 years time from watching batsu and anime 8)

[quote="joker":2kt8jiur][quote="al4bandi":2kt8jiur]So you’re saying, you understand, but can’t read Kanji at all, can you?[/quote:2kt8jiur]
ye and i am proud of it 8)

– 30.11.2011, 19:48 –

i learn all from watching anime, reading manga, gaki videos 8)[/quote:2kt8jiur]

May i come to the dark side of the moon…eh dark side of the force?
This is quite an astonishing progress you’ve made there Joker-chan.
I wanted to ask more questions, but there isn’t the appropriate "adult only" section. Maybe next time :D!

Wait, I thought you can’t read Kanjis: [i:2kt8jiur]i learn all from watching anime, reading manga, gaki videos[/i:2kt8jiur]

[quote="joker":1lk2z8xx]
fyi i dont use any translate device, i self learn my japanese in 4 years time from watching batsu and anime 8)[/quote:1lk2z8xx]

We love you joker :inlove:

[quote="Fengson":3160esho]Hey :)

Cheers :)[/quote:3160esho]

I began studying japanese with Minna no nihongo. I never thought so much of it, but it’s probably one of the most used textbook for levels such as yours. Work your kanjis regularly with "Remembering the kanji", and you should be fine.

You might wanna use Anki (freeware) for reviewing grammar and vocabulary for N5 too!

Thanks, I will take your advices guys!

[quote="inshun":d4fxyd23][quote="Fengson":d4fxyd23]Hey :)

Cheers :)[/quote:d4fxyd23]

I began studying japanese with Minna no nihongo. I never thought so much of it, but it’s probably one of the most used textbook for levels such as yours. Work your kanjis regularly with "Remembering the kanji", and you should be fine.

You might wanna use Anki (freeware) for reviewing grammar and vocabulary for N5 too![/quote:d4fxyd23]

Might that be James W. Heisig´s Remembering the Kanji? I am in love with that book and I am working my way through it. Slowly, but I learn. Otherwise, I agree with Joker. Watching anime and Gaki has really taught me to understand a lot, and in a VERY funny way;D

[quote="Fengson":14bzlu1e]Hey :)

Cheers :)[/quote:14bzlu1e]
From someone that has worked their way from novice to JLPT1, I recommend Korokoro comics. You usually can find them in local Japanese markets (there’s usually one in every city) and they are usually tucked away in the recesses with books that the local Japanese have abandoned as they return to Japan from working overseas. Korokoro is a 6-10 year old boys manga, and is filled with toys and short manga all with furigana. If you have someone that can sit down and explain to you all of the slightly difficult to understand slang, you will get a basic understanding of Japanese.

I’m so far along myself I really can’t remember what it was like to NOT be able to speak Japanese fluently, but I also suggest getting a Japanese friend, watching unsubbed Japanese TV and trying to understand whats happening, and Rosetta Stone is also very good at beginning levels (though I never had it when I was learning.) Determination will get you a long way too.

[img:14bzlu1e]http://kangakanga.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/korokoro-comic-12.jpg[/img:14bzlu1e]