How do you Sub?! (Subbers Unite!)

Every so often, I get questioned on how I sub videos.
So, here’s how I sub in a nutshell.

First, I use [b:3crrrpji]Subtitle Workshop [/b:3crrrpji]to type out all the possible dialogues.
Then I go back and do the timings on each dialogue. And I save the file in .srt format.

One side note, I have tried to do timings using [b:3crrrpji]Aegisub[/b:3crrrpji] with its viewable sound file. But it just doesn’t work well on many Batsu game videos with many captions that stays on screen long after the dialogues been said. Does that make sense? Basically, I need to have the visual footage to get timings done on many of Batsu game videos. I guess using Aegisub’s viewable sound file works great if you’re doing karaoke, or video that doesn’t have so many captions.

But I DO use [b:3crrrpji]Aegisub[/b:3crrrpji] to change fonts, colors, and sub positions.
Then, I’d save the file in .ass format.

OK, but I wanted to start this thread to see how others sub videos and hopefully share some of their techniques and such.

Next time, I will list some of the things I do on [b:3crrrpji]Aegisub[/b:3crrrpji] that I learned on Youtube.

Hello shibata, thanks a lot for this topic, it is very useful for amateur subbers like me to get tips from pros :D

I first transcript the dialogues on a txt file, one sentence in a line.

Then I open the txt file and the video with Media Subtitler and I do the timing.

Then the classical step, I open it with Aegisub for the font, the color and the positions.

I’m making full usage of aegi sub now. I find the combination of timesetting and subbing at the same time very good working in aegi sub.

I may try subtitle workshop again one day though.

[quote:1sak7k8u][i:1sak7k8u]Originally posted by ShibataBread[/i:1sak7k8u]
Every so often, I get questioned on how I sub videos.
So, here’s how I sub in a nutshell.

First, I use [b:1sak7k8u]Subtitle Workshop [/b:1sak7k8u]to type out all the possible dialogues.
Then I go back and do the timings on each dialogue. And I save the file in .srt format.

One side note, I have tried to do timings using [b:1sak7k8u]Aegisub[/b:1sak7k8u] with its viewable sound file. But it just doesn’t work well on many Batsu game videos with many captions that stays on screen long after the dialogues been said. Does that make sense? Basically, I need to have the visual footage to get timings done on many of Batsu game videos. I guess using Aegisub’s viewable sound file works great if you’re doing karaoke, or video that doesn’t have so many captions.

But I DO use [b:1sak7k8u]Aegisub[/b:1sak7k8u] to change fonts, colors, and sub positions.
Then, I’d save the file in .ass format.

OK, but I wanted to start this thread to see how others sub videos and hopefully share some of their techniques and such.

Next time, I will list some of the things I do on [b:1sak7k8u]Aegisub[/b:1sak7k8u] that I learned on Youtube.[/quote:1sak7k8u]

exactly like u !

I subbed my Nirvana live shows so far :P

and 3 halfs of high school batsu

I transcribed all of haunted hotel youtube subs into a wordpad and imported them into visual subsync, where I did all my timing and font/colors.

[quote:2nepcuwc][i:2nepcuwc]Originally posted by Homelessbrian[/i:2nepcuwc]
I transcribed all of haunted hotel youtube subs into a wordpad and imported them into visual subsync, where I did all my timing and font/colors.[/quote:2nepcuwc]

Why would u do that for? You know i already put all the youtube videos in a sub file…

Sorry I was in a rush when i typed that up. I forgot to finish what I was saying. Before you posted yer subs I had about half of it done myself. I was doing it slowly in my spare time. Also I left out I did the same thing when I did the 24 hour tag subs

How about embedding the subs in an AVI/WMV (or any video file) ? I’ve searched quite a lot but can’t seem to find anything. So far I have to burn the AVI to a DVD using Convert X to DVD and add in the sub files (have to convert the .ass files as it doesn’t seem to play them properly with it, which in turn ruins the subs!)

I use video editing software to just make titles, its a lot easier than the methods you describe, although yeah I can’t make .ass files, but I really prefer hard subs over soft subs… a lot less hassle to get the subs working from the user’s end.

Honestly some times it takes as long to get the soft sub to work as it does to download a hardsub over again… plus then you can never have one but not the other.

Video editing software I use is either Adobe Premiere Pro CS4 or Cyblerlink Powerdirector.

Either works except Adobe Premiere Pro allows a lot more control over subtle details which I like that a LOT.

Does anyone know some good apps to make subtitles on Mac?

I feel like such bad “thread starter” for neglecting it for so long.

Thank you everyone for their input.

I have recently got the Mac and was wondering about the same thing as the previous post.

Does Aegisub work well on Mac for anybody else? I tried it and it seemed really buggy to me.

s

I tried using Aegisub on mac, but it is only on a very unstable alpha version. I would just boot camp windows and install it on the windows.

Hi guys, I’m new at it ^^
This is my first project ( Spy batsu game-Portuguese Subs), I want to spread the "Gaki Virus" like one of you told me a time ago, and for that I’m using Aegisub.
Problem: it takes too long for doing it! I mean it takes me about 2 hours for 3 minutes of video! Fuck Me!!! I mean I’m working all day and I just can make 3 min’ by day…???

Guys, please any possibility to make it easier?

Thanks a lot :D

[quote="0omizuuo0":1pdtjicz]Hi guys, I’m new at it ^^
This is my first project ( Spy batsu game-Portuguese Subs), I want to spread the "Gaki Virus" like one of you told me a time ago, and for that I’m using Aegisub.
Problem: it takes too long for doing it! I mean it takes me about 2 hours for 3 minutes of video! Fuck Me!!! I mean I’m working all day and I just can make 3 min’ by day…???

Guys, please any possibility to make it easier?

Thanks a lot :D[/quote:1pdtjicz]

I use Aegisub completely now. I started using Subtitle Workshop, but it didn’t agree with my pc for some reason. Depending on how detailed you are creating the subs, it can take 2 hrs to do 3 mins of footage. Of course it also depends on how proficient you are at using Aeigusb as well. The more familiar you are with the software can help to speed things up.

Gaki batsu games have a lot of information to translate vs. say a drama where the only translations needed are single lines of text. The GNT crew are notorious for talking all at the same time, which of course makes things a lot more difficult to translate. Factor in the colors and placement of text etc, and it all adds up to a lot of extra steps to complete that 3 mins of footage. So yeah, I’d say 2 hrs of work for 3 mins of footage wouldn’t be uncommon.

Like I said earlier, I use Aegisub, and I’m not sure if there is an easier or faster way, I’m just used to using it because I’m used to it. Maybe there is a faster and easier way out there that someone can explain.

Thanks for your opinion, I’m already getting into it but I prefer to make first the translation then work on the colours and timing as Shibata-san does.

Thanks again :)

[quote="0omizuuo0":3vxa0rh9]Thanks for your opinion, I’m already getting into it but I prefer to make first the translation then work on the colours and timing as Shibata-san does.

Thanks again :)[/quote:3vxa0rh9]

I think as you get familiar with Aegisub, your speed will increase a lot. Getting the timing done with Aegisub can be tricky when you first get started using it. Good luck!

Domo!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

– 24.01.2011, 14:22 –

Well when everything look finally done, another problem appear! :@ :@ :@

I’ve finally ended the frist 20 min of Spy batsu game with portuguese subtitles but when I’m going to use virtualdub to encode, the subtitles don’t match exactly at the time when I was subbing in Aegisub. Any help?

– 24.01.2011, 14:27 –

Well when everything look finally done, another problem appear! :@ :@ :@

I’ve finally ended the frist 20 min of Spy batsu game with portuguese subtitles but when I’m going to use virtualdub to encode, the subtitles don’t match exactly at the time when I was subbing in Aegisub. Any help?

– 24.01.2011, 15:18 –

Problem fixed!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

UAU!!!

Halo Shibata Bread ! I’ve been your fans for your great works !
I do subbing too for some videos of them and use them when I’m teaching private class.

I’m using Aegisub too. I found it’s very easy to put texts into some coordinates. And also its styling manager.

こんにちは柴田パンさん!
「猪木アントニオボイス」 お元気ですか?

I think a lot of subbers use Aegisub, but I also started with Subtitle Workshop.
It is true tho, the more you use Aegisub, the faster and more productive your work becomes.

How I sub is I usually get the raw files and do the timings for the speaking parts.
Once I’m done timing I go back and check if there is any signs/posters etc. or things that need to be added & translated.

Recently, a lot of people who upload the raw files of Japanese TV shows they also
release the Closed Captioned sub. Which is a BIG, BIG help as this is already timed or just needs
adjustments. As it includes just about every spoken line of dialogue.

I type out the subs on wordpad while watching.

I u/l the subs to Media Subber to do the timing into SSA

I take the SSA and turn it into ASS with colors on Aegis

I hardsub it on the vid with Avidemux