Yamasaki Namechange

This Forum contains all the off topic posts from before!
25 posts Page 2 of 2
andylau-fr wrote:
I read somewhere Yamazaki and Matsumoto are real friends, and are the only ones of GNT who meet outside the show. :!:

Maybe you're remembering the Drunken Momotaro episode, the cast start discussing who they hang out with outside the show. Hamada and Endou seem to play golf together occasionally. Housei and Matsumoto say they go out for a drink sometimes after filming, but don't socialize at other times. Still I feel like they really gel well together, though Matsumoto is the boke in Downtown, when he's with Housei he does a hilarious job of acting as the tsukkomi. Also in Matsumoto's spin-off series MaruMaru na Hanashi, Housei talks about going on holiday with Matsumoto complete with fantastic photos, I think that proves they get along well enough at least to put up with each other for an extended period outside the show. :rofl:
http://yamasakigifs.tumblr.com/post/501 ... hitoshi-on

VideogameDC wrote:
soudou, I wonder if Chouno and Housei are good friends outside the batsus, maybe they are good friends. :o

I dunno if they meet outside the show, though he's probably familiar with him as a celebrity and of course them disliking each other is part of the act. Someone once tweeted to Housei some photo of Chouno at an event and after the obligatory "Ahhh!" he was curious about the other guy Chouno was with (someone famous I guess).

For some reason, I like when Rola trends to be the foolish girl in some TV shows, however, she seems to like kids a lot. I remmember a certain tv show played a doki dokkiri prank on her that she had to take care of a little girl, and it seemed they got along together. It was a cute doki dokkiri :inlove:

It does sound cute :) She seems easygoing. On the talent contests, some people would do impressions of her, she took it all in good humour and played along.

Remmeber Matsumoto is more like a serious person, so maybe that's why he preffers to call him Yamasaki, while Hamada calls him ''Yama chan'' :) I would like to see that part (Though I don't understand Japanese that much) :D

I think he calls him "Yamazaki" with the z which I guess is like a nickname or at least a twist on his birth name, since in the airport batsu he tells Chouno "Actually, it's Yamasaki not Yamazaki". Cocorico used to go one step further by calling him Zaki-san but respectfully call him Housei-san now. It's funny how many different names he's had. :rofl:

Yeah I don't actually understand what they're saying either. I could only guess based on the manner in which they spoke to each other (gestures, expressions, tone etc.) and their reactions. I have so little time lately but it's one of my desires to try to understand that episode better since it also involves Eiji Wentz giving a heartfelt talk about Housei as his mentor (again dont understand the words, but they show illustrations/photos). When the mood gets emotional Matsumoto gets bored and fiddles with his mic though which Housei jokingly gets offended at. :rofl:
Well, I think both of them respect each other outside the stage, or maybe Housei was curious about who was the guy with Chouno (Feeling a bit jealous :D).

I want to meet her someday, she seems like an interesting girl. Btw, this is the prank I was talking about. It took me a lot to find it again. :)

I always wonered if it's YamaSaki or YamaZaki, some subbers tend to use Yamasaki a lot, but I saw a character in the King of Fighters videogame saga is named Yamazaki, so it's too confusing I ended up thinking Yamasaki with an S or a Z are different names.

Kawaii~
Both Yamazaki and Yamasaki are acceptable pronunciations for the name. Just that Yamasaki prefers to use Yamasaki instead of Yamazaki?
Yeah I guess it's a pronunication thing. Though technically his name really is Yamasaki with an S in writing, when verbally pronounced I guess it's more natural in Japanese language to put emphasis on the s as a z. When you convert "山崎" to romaji via http://nihongo.j-talk.com/ by default it comes out as Yamazaki.
Here's some quick Googlings:
Yamasaki or Yamazaki? (Yahoo Answers)
Generally speaking, Those families who come from the Western part of Japan tend to pronounce it Yamasaki; families who come from the East part tend to pronounce it Yamazaki. But it depends on each family. For example TOYOTA's founder family's name is Mr.Toyoda.
-----
YamaZaki is Eastern name. YamaSaki is Western name.
e.g Astronaut Yamazaki Naoko from Chiba (east) and comedian Yamasaki Housei from Hyogo (west).
NakaJima - east    Nakajima Miyuki - Hokkaido
Nakashima - west Nakashima Mika - Kagoshima
-----
useless trivia (source: native Japanese)
Housei Yamasaki, a popular Japanese comedian used to refuse to be called Yamazaki. But almost nobody corrected pronunciation and continued to call him Yamazaki.
Wikipedia:
"Yamasaki (山崎, 山嵜, 山咲, etc.; the first of these being the most common) can refer to several Japanese people and characters. The same characters are for many purposes pronounced Yamazaki."
It's more like a regional thing when it comes to Yamasaki's name! I always thought I didn't wrote his name in romanji right, or it was more like a grammar thingie, so I'm glad you wipe away my concern about this. :)

Kawaii~
VideogameDC wrote:
It's more like a regional thing when it comes to Yamasaki's name! I always thought I didn't wrote his name in romanji right, or it was more like a grammar thingie, so I'm glad you wipe away my concern about this. :)

Yeah I never knew there were different ways of pronouncing the same Kanji in East and West Japan. Interesting!
I think technically romaji is a phonetic representation of Japanese with Western lettering, perhaps it just means a z is the easiest way to pronounce it for most people in Japan? Kind of like how some in Japan said Tsukitei was harder to pronounce. But Yamasaki with an s is what his family probably used in their region of Japan. Though obviously "Housei" is what he is known as now.
At the end of the day people will know who you mean when saying Yamazaki, Yamasaki, Tsukitei or Housei so they're all fine when not actually speaking to him directly. :rofl:
soudou wrote:
Yeah I never knew there were different ways of pronouncing the same Kanji in East and West Japan. Interesting!
I think technically romaji is a phonetic representation of Japanese with Western lettering, perhaps it just means a z is the easiest way to pronounce it for most people in Japan? Kind of like how some in Japan said Tsukitei was harder to pronounce. But Yamasaki with an s is what his family probably used in their region of Japan. Though obviously "Housei" is what he is known as now.
At the end of the day people will know who you mean when saying Yamazaki, Yamasaki, Tsukitei or Housei so they're all fine when not actually speaking to him directly. :rofl:

I wrote Yamazaki instead of Yamasaki several times when talking about Housei, but I had no idea of that thing with his name.
But then, I remembered about some other things (Saya zamurai instead of Saya samurai, and Mitsubishi instead of Mitsu ishi) and I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rendaku

When kanjis weren't enough to make learning japanese hard to learn, there is this.
Oh well...
Yeah that does look confusing.... *steps away slowly* :worried:
Then again English isn't perfect either with all those "silent letters" and such that you write but never say. :^) Like Psychology being pronounced without the p.
Also reminds me... the guy who invented the term "GIF" named it after the peanut butter company "Jif" and intended them to be pronounced the same, but it's more intuitive in English to say it like the first part of "Gift" instead. Especially if you're in the UK like me and aren't familiar with a US-centered peanut butter company. :rofl: It's even made the news a few times:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22620473
Seems like every language has their flaws :D

It's weird to see someone say ''Jif'' instead of ''Gif'', but it actually sounds better than ''Jif''. :P

Kawaii~
I never knew that about the slight difference in pronunciations of names in different parts of Japan. Interesting!

I do know that many words change their first sounds when attached to another word though.
If you learn Japanese, you'll learn it and the rules in class
25 posts Page 2 of 2