Yamasaki Namechange

He changed his name from Hosei Yamasaki to Hosei Tsukitei. At least that’s my best understanding. Anyone know why? Or do I have it wrong?

Read this for your answer [url:ksrk8o9k]http://www.gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4677[/url:ksrk8o9k] ;)

Nearly a year ago, I need to keep up. :?:

Yamasaki is also a rakugo-ka (a type of comedian and story teller). His rakugo-ka name always was Tsukitei Hosei. But he should to chose one of 2 names, his birth name or his rakugo-ka name. At 2012 he chose Tsukitei Hosei as his artistic and only name.

[b:2dh9enf7]R.I.P. Yamasaki OUT[/b:2dh9enf7]

[quote="juriTanaka":1wjf26n7]Yamasaki is also a rakugo-ka (a type of comedian and story teller). His rakugo-ka name always was Tsukitei Hosei. But he should to chose one of 2 names, his birth name or his rakugo-ka name. At 2012 he chose Tsukitei Hosei as his artistic and only name.

[b:1wjf26n7]R.I.P. Yamasaki OUT[/b:1wjf26n7][/quote:1wjf26n7]

I wonder if in this year’s batsu will be ‘‘Housei OUT’’ or will be ‘‘Tuskitei OUT’’. Still is a shame he changed his name Yamasaki.
If I ever go to live to Japan, I’ll be named Yamasaki in his honor (Even if I can’t do the kanji for ‘‘Saki’’ xD).

[quote="juriTanaka":fh82fs4w]Yamasaki is also a rakugo-ka (a type of comedian and story teller). His rakugo-ka name always was Tsukitei Hosei. But he should to chose one of 2 names, his birth name or his rakugo-ka name. At 2012 he chose Tsukitei Hosei as his artistic and only name.[/quote:fh82fs4w]

In this case he adopted the rakugo family name of Tsukitei from his teacher Tsukitei Happo, first when performing on stage then after graduating in 2012, TV too. Here he is with Happo at the press conference for his rakugo graduation:
[img:fh82fs4w]http://i.imgur.com/F6JtZ5y.jpg[/img:fh82fs4w]

There’s also a Tsukitei Hakko who introduced him to his teacher (on the right below)) and he is friends with another rakugo from a different family, Katsura Sando (on the left). They’ve done some programs together to try and give more exposure to rakugo.
[img:fh82fs4w]http://i.imgur.com/2CD10DP.jpg[/img:fh82fs4w]

In some cases the rakugo master/teacher will bestow both a first and last name. Housei kept his birth first name and doesn’t seem to mind being called by it even after rakugo graduation, but Katsura Sando’s birth name is Watanabe Atsumu, previously performing on TV under the name NabeAtsu. The teacher for the Katsura family is Katsura Sanshi and typically bestows part of his first name as well as his last name. There is a Canadian who decided to become a rakugo and studied under the Katsura rakugo family, his birth name was Gregory Robic and his teacher chose the name "Katsura Sunshine": "Sanshi combined the first part of his name, “San”, meaning “three”, with the Japanese word for “Shine”, and gave it the Japanese pronunciation of the English word “Sunshine".
Source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katsura_Sunshine

After graduating he came back to Canada to give exposure to the art there:
[video:fh82fs4w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-Xph7AHrDs[/video:fh82fs4w]

Apparently the first foreign rakugo was an Australian man named Henry James Black, who adopted the rakugo name Kairakutei (Pleasure) Black I and studied under Sanyutei Encho. It sounds like he struggled a lot to be respected by his family for his choice :(

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kairakutei_Black_I

If I’m not wrong, Hakko is Happo’s real son, as well as one of his disciples.

Hosei kept the same pronunciation but used different kanji for his rakugo name

[quote="solari":2pqszhob]If I’m not wrong, Hakko is Happo’s real son, as well as one of his disciples.
Hosei kept the same pronunciation but used different kanji for his rakugo name[/quote:2pqszhob]

Ohh wow, you’re right! I didn’t know that. According to Japanese Wikipedia he’s the eldest son of Happo and was originally named Terawaki Seiji, Happo’s name was Terawaki Seizo.
Also it seems Masaru Suzuki was the founder of the "Tsukitei" rakugo family after performing on stage as Tsukitei Kacho. The history of "Tsukitei" on Wikipedia seems to go deeper than that but I don’t really understand the wording, something about it being a respected suffix within the Katsura rakugo school that had been lost for many years.

Seems his only disciple was Happo. :o Now Happo appears to of taken up the mantle of growing the Tsukitei family with disciples of his own, impressive.

You know what… call it a sensing of how Japanese TV producers work… I think they will call him Yamasaki for a few more years during the Batsu games… if only just to piss him off and make the audience laugh.

I don’t think Yamasaki will make him pissed, because that’s his name from 1968 to 2013, and he is used to it. Even he is still called Yama Chan!

[quote="VideogameDC":2ew8oipp]I don’t think Yamasaki will make him pissed, because that’s his name from 1968 to 2013, and he is used to it. Even he is still called Yama Chan![/quote:2ew8oipp]

Technically he prefers to be called Housei now so I guess in reality he would politely remind people (outside maybe family?) who always called him Yamasaki or Yama-chan. Downtown are the only ones he lets slide. Maybe those who make one-off mistakes too, but it’s rare for it to happen since Cocorico, hosts & guests of other shows and the general public all call him Housei-san or Housei-kun (since there are a number of people called Tsukitei from his rakugo group, I suppose that’s the easiest to identify him by whilst still respecting his rakugo group).

He did repeatedly try to correct (failingly to the amusement of the audience) forgetful Rola though when she (as a contest judge) kept calling him Yama-chan. With the skit of Chouno messing his name up he was also correcting him repeatedly and failingly whilst the rest of the cast urged him to keep quiet. I imagine that might become the running joke for the batsus. It reminds me, sometimes Ken Shimura’s character would call him "Houkei" (sounded like ‘hokey’) or Hou-chan instead of Housei to get a reaction out of him in the old Family Shimura sitcom. :rofl:

[quote="soudou":2x6cnawe][quote="VideogameDC":2x6cnawe]I don’t think Yamasaki will make him pissed, because that’s his name from 1968 to 2013, and he is used to it. Even he is still called Yama Chan![/quote:2x6cnawe]

Technically he prefers to be called Housei now so I guess in reality he would politely remind people (outside maybe family?) who always called him Yamasaki or Yama-chan. Downtown are the only ones he lets slide. Maybe those who make one-off mistakes too, but it’s rare for it to happen since Cocorico, hosts & guests of other shows and the general public all call him Housei-san or Housei-kun (since there are a number of people called Tsukitei from his rakugo group, I suppose that’s the easiest to identify him by whilst still respecting his rakugo group).

He did repeatedly try to correct (failingly to the amusement of the audience) forgetful Rola though when she (as a contest judge) kept calling him Yama-chan. With the skit of Chouno messing his name up he was also correcting him repeatedly and failingly whilst the rest of the cast urged him to keep quiet. I imagine that might become the running joke for the batsus. It reminds me, sometimes Ken Shimura’s character would call him "Houkei" (sounded like ‘hokey’) or Hou-chan instead of Housei to get a reaction out of him in the old Family Shimura sitcom. :rofl:[/quote:2x6cnawe]

I think he woudn’t try to correct Chouno in later batsus since he ends up slapping Housei :D
Did you say ‘‘Rola’’? :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
He probably forgives Downtown to call him Yama Chan because they have a long lasting friendship since then, so that’s what I think. :P

[quote="VideogameDC":32msj0bs]I think he woudn’t try to correct Chouno in later batsus since he ends up slapping Housei :D
Did you say ‘‘Rola’’? :inlove: :inlove: :inlove:
He probably forgives Downtown to call him Yama Chan because they have a long lasting friendship since then, so that’s what I think. :P[/quote:32msj0bs]

He might since it’s funnier when he’s acting the fool who "never learns" :lol: After all he keeps calling him Chouno-san or otherwise breaking the fourth wall ("This isn’t a real hospital!"), even though the rest of the cast warn him not to, since Chouno is meant to be acting as a character. 8)

Yep ditzy Rola, she is sometimes a judge on talent/karaoke contests. Housei loves karaoke so in one contest she was judging him, but kept calling him Yama-chan. Everytime she did he went "Tsukitei right?" but she carried on regardless much to his dismay. the audience found it hilarious she wasn’t catching on and that he was getting ignored. :rofl: Been meaning to make a gifset of it someday with #namechangeproblems (like #firstworldproblems heh).

Yeah Downtown have special status to him which is a sweet thing. I also think it’s really funny that Hamada as the ‘tough guy’ (at least in character) can’t bear to not call him the cutesy nickname ‘Yama-chan’ :rofl: Matsumoto uses ‘Yamazaki’ instead.

I can’t understand the words so I could be totally wrong, but in an episode of Heyx3, I think Downtown are playfully disrespecting him professionally (as usual) and Housei recalls a time Matsumoto was loudly yelling "Yamazaki!" in some setting where he was trying to gain respect. Matsumoto’s reaction to the story was of embarrassment / denial that he’d ever done that and they both laugh about it :rofl: He lets them get away with a lot I guess out of respect for them :lol:

I read somewhere Yamazaki and Matsumoto are real friends, and are the only ones of GNT who meet outside the show. :!:

[b:39vx3yx3]soudou[/b:39vx3yx3], I wonder if Chouno and Housei are good friends outside the batsus, maybe they are good friends. :o

For some reason, I like when Rola trends to be the foolish girl in some TV shows, however, she seems to like kids a lot. I remmember a certain tv show played a doki dokkiri prank on her that she had to take care of a little girl, and it seemed they got along together. It was a cute doki dokkiri :inlove:

Remmeber Matsumoto is more like a serious person, so maybe that’s why he preffers to call him Yamasaki, while Hamada calls him ‘‘Yama chan’’ :)

I would like to see that part (Though I don’t understand Japanese that much) :D

[quote="andylau-fr":z6qfisvd]I read somewhere Yamazaki and Matsumoto are real friends, and are the only ones of GNT who meet outside the show. :!:[/quote:z6qfisvd]

Maybe you’re remembering the Drunken Momotaro episode, the cast start discussing who they hang out with outside the show. Hamada and Endou seem to play golf together occasionally. Housei and Matsumoto say they go out for a drink sometimes after filming, but don’t socialize at other times. Still I feel like they really gel well together, though Matsumoto is the boke in Downtown, when he’s with Housei he does a hilarious job of acting as the tsukkomi. Also in Matsumoto’s spin-off series MaruMaru na Hanashi, Housei talks about going on holiday with Matsumoto complete with fantastic photos, I think that proves they get along well enough at least to put up with each other for an extended period outside the show. :rofl:

http://yamasakigifs.tumblr.com/post/501 ... hitoshi-on

[quote="VideogameDC":z6qfisvd][b:z6qfisvd]soudou[/b:z6qfisvd], I wonder if Chouno and Housei are good friends outside the batsus, maybe they are good friends. :o[/quote:z6qfisvd]

I dunno if they meet outside the show, though he’s probably familiar with him as a celebrity and of course them disliking each other is part of the act. Someone once tweeted to Housei some photo of Chouno at an event and after the obligatory "Ahhh!" he was curious about the other guy Chouno was with (someone famous I guess).

[quote:z6qfisvd]For some reason, I like when Rola trends to be the foolish girl in some TV shows, however, she seems to like kids a lot. I remmember a certain tv show played a doki dokkiri prank on her that she had to take care of a little girl, and it seemed they got along together. It was a cute doki dokkiri :inlove: [/quote:z6qfisvd]

It does sound cute :) She seems easygoing. On the talent contests, some people would do impressions of her, she took it all in good humour and played along.

[quote:z6qfisvd]Remmeber Matsumoto is more like a serious person, so maybe that’s why he preffers to call him Yamasaki, while Hamada calls him ‘‘Yama chan’’ :) I would like to see that part (Though I don’t understand Japanese that much) :D[/quote:z6qfisvd]

I think he calls him "Yamazaki" with the z which I guess is like a nickname or at least a twist on his birth name, since in the airport batsu he tells Chouno "Actually, it’s Yamasaki not Yamazaki". Cocorico used to go one step further by calling him Zaki-san but respectfully call him Housei-san now. It’s funny how many different names he’s had. :rofl:

Yeah I don’t actually understand what they’re saying either. I could only guess based on the manner in which they spoke to each other (gestures, expressions, tone etc.) and their reactions. I have so little time lately but it’s one of my desires to try to understand that episode better since it also involves Eiji Wentz giving a heartfelt talk about Housei as his mentor (again dont understand the words, but they show illustrations/photos). When the mood gets emotional Matsumoto gets bored and fiddles with his mic though which Housei jokingly gets offended at. :rofl:

Well, I think both of them respect each other outside the stage, or maybe Housei was curious about who was the guy with Chouno (Feeling a bit jealous :D).

I want to meet her someday, she seems like an interesting girl. Btw, this is the prank I was talking about. It took me a lot to find it again. :)
[video:tykc425c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVA1TQCMp0o[/video:tykc425c]

I always wonered if it’s YamaSaki or YamaZaki, some subbers tend to use Yamasaki a lot, but I saw a character in the King of Fighters videogame saga is named Yamazaki, so it’s too confusing I ended up thinking Yamasaki with an S or a Z are different names.

Both Yamazaki and Yamasaki are acceptable pronunciations for the name. Just that Yamasaki prefers to use Yamasaki instead of Yamazaki?

Yeah I guess it’s a pronunication thing. Though technically his name really is Yamasaki with an S in writing, when verbally pronounced I guess it’s more natural in Japanese language to put emphasis on the s as a z. When you convert "山崎" to romaji via http://nihongo.j-talk.com/ by default it comes out as Yamazaki.
Here’s some quick Googlings:

[quote:2615j4zv][b:2615j4zv]Yamasaki or Yamazaki? (Yahoo Answers)[/b:2615j4zv]
Generally speaking, Those families who come from the Western part of Japan tend to pronounce it Yamasaki; families who come from the East part tend to pronounce it Yamazaki. But it depends on each family. For example TOYOTA’s founder family’s name is Mr.Toyoda.
[b:2615j4zv]-----[/b:2615j4zv]
YamaZaki is Eastern name. YamaSaki is Western name.
e.g Astronaut Yamazaki Naoko from Chiba (east) and comedian Yamasaki Housei from Hyogo (west).
NakaJima - east Nakajima Miyuki - Hokkaido
Nakashima - west Nakashima Mika - Kagoshima
[b:2615j4zv]-----[/b:2615j4zv]
useless trivia (source: native Japanese)
Housei Yamasaki, a popular Japanese comedian used to refuse to be called Yamazaki. But almost nobody corrected pronunciation and continued to call him Yamazaki.
Wikipedia:
"Yamasaki (山崎, 山嵜, 山咲, etc.; the first of these being the most common) can refer to several Japanese people and characters. The same characters are for many purposes pronounced Yamazaki."
[/quote:2615j4zv]

It’s more like a regional thing when it comes to Yamasaki’s name! I always thought I didn’t wrote his name in romanji right, or it was more like a grammar thingie, so I’m glad you wipe away my concern about this. :)