What's this Kanji?

This Forum contains all the off topic posts from before!
18 posts Page 2 of 2
VideogameDC wrote:
Wait a minute. when you say ''please'' in japanese, is it ''Onegaishimasu''? Or is it ''kudasai''? :sweat:

As far as I can tell "Onegaishimasu" is more formal. One example I've seen that fits ErnieYoung's "praying" analogy is when people say "Onegaishimasu" whilst clasping their hands on TV when the results of a contest is about to be announced, as if to say "please please let me win". Here's some discussion from a quick Google with people discussing when to use onegaishimasu vs kudasai.
http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/269

solari wrote:
I think 'bet' came out because bet is 賭け(kake) in Japanese.

Ah yeah, makes sense since they sound the same! :nod: That's how all those word puns start :rofl:
soudou wrote:
VideogameDC wrote:
Wait a minute. when you say ''please'' in japanese, is it ''Onegaishimasu''? Or is it ''kudasai''? :sweat:

As far as I can tell "Onegaishimasu" is more formal. One example I've seen that fits ErnieYoung's "praying" analogy is when people say "Onegaishimasu" whilst clasping their hands on TV when the results of a contest is about to be announced, as if to say "please please let me win". Here's some discussion from a quick Google with people discussing when to use onegaishimasu vs kudasai.
http://japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/269

Thanks soudou. :)

Kawaii~
"Onegaishimasu" is used more often in very polite/formal situations, like "if you would be so kind" or "if you could please" when asking for something.

Generally I use this more often than "kudasai". If you are being more direct with someone or giving an instruction, perhaps if you are a teacher talking to a student, you would use "kudasai".
18 posts Page 2 of 2