The purpose of the registration code?

I see the registration code on the main page, but I have no idea what it’s used for. I searched the forums and all I found are posts talking about how other members berate the people that ask for it. I’m not sure where else to ask.

Thanks.

are you serious? you signed up and are asking why you need the code anyways its to prove you are human

I don’t recall ever needing the code in the past and there’s no explanation for it. My apologies for asking such an idiotic question. Sorry for wasting your time. |(

The reg code is intented to protect the forum from bots signing up and flooding with ads. A bot won’t find the code, a human will.

[quote="Kanzaki":e1t6itjg]The reg code is intented to protect the forum from bots signing up and flooding with ads. A bot won’t find the code, a human will.[/quote:e1t6itjg]

Thanks. I had no idea if it was related to the upcoming Batsu game (in order to watch a stream of some sort). As I said earlier, I don’t recall typing in an authorization code, but I must have, I suppose.

Thanks again :)

[quote="grindorth":1re1ep25]are you serious? you signed up and are asking why you need the code anyways its to prove you are human[/quote:1re1ep25]

I signed up "a long time" ago, so back then, iirc, we haven’t had any of those fancy codes. =P

But yeah, I thought it was just some "enter this on XYZ site to get a $€% coupon !".
Maybe servers, webhosting or something like that.

Luckily this thread was just on the front page as I finally decided to search for the reason of the code’s existence. haha

This forum got way too popular. There.

On a long term basis we will probably try and change that. I think there are members who give up registering because they didn’t find the code (even though it’s in [b:x1r3o31w][size=200:x1r3o31w][color=#FF0000:x1r3o31w]big red bold font[/color:x1r3o31w][/size:x1r3o31w][/b:x1r3o31w] on the main page)

[quote="Kanzaki":dmzq12yv]On a long term basis we will probably try and change that. I think there are members who give up registering because they didn’t find the code (even though it’s in [b:dmzq12yv][size=200:dmzq12yv][color=#FF0000:dmzq12yv]big red bold font[/color:dmzq12yv][/size:dmzq12yv][/b:dmzq12yv] on the main page)[/quote:dmzq12yv]

Well, if you came here from a google search to an individual thread, and then sign up from there, you do miss the main page.
Not everything is an evil plot by newbies to piss off senior posters. :D

[quote="tadsgirl":1253x353][quote="Kanzaki":1253x353]On a long term basis we will probably try and change that. I think there are members who give up registering because they didn’t find the code (even though it’s in [b:1253x353][size=200:1253x353][color=#FF0000:1253x353]big red bold font[/color:1253x353][/size:1253x353][/b:1253x353] on the main page)[/quote:1253x353]

Well, if you came here from a google search to an individual thread, and then sign up from there, you do miss the main page.
Not everything is an evil plot by newbies to piss off senior posters. :D[/quote:1253x353]

Good point. That’s one more reason to get rid of the reg code.

Honestly, I think it should stay.

With fans for Japanese popular media (music, anime, manga, shows, doesn’t really matter what) a huge amount of them are retards (read: weeaboos) and tbh, those kinda people can stay away from this board…

[quote="Kanzaki":afjxvmyq][quote="tadsgirl":afjxvmyq][quote="Kanzaki":afjxvmyq]On a long term basis we will probably try and change that. I think there are members who give up registering because they didn’t find the code (even though it’s in [b:afjxvmyq][size=200:afjxvmyq][color=#FF0000:afjxvmyq]big red bold font[/color:afjxvmyq][/size:afjxvmyq][/b:afjxvmyq] on the main page)[/quote:afjxvmyq]

Not everything is an evil plot by newbies to piss off senior posters. :D[/quote:afjxvmyq]

Good point. That’s one more reason to get rid of the reg code.[/quote:afjxvmyq]

There are plug-ins, for vBulletin at least, that will make all new members read a thread before continuing. You could add that and have the code inside the thread.

Also:
Hide the "continue" button somewhere inside the text (below a smilie is the best thing), so people actually read them and don’t make useless posts like "wat dis ? u can gibe me links ?".

[quote="Ap2000":1dkntit8]Honestly, I think it should stay.

With fans for Japanese popular media (music, anime, manga, shows, doesn’t really matter what) a huge amount of them are retards (read: weeaboos) and tbh, those kinda people can stay away from this board…[/quote:1dkntit8]

I think Gaki no Tsukai is intended to more "mature" audience than regular anime/manga (I’m not speaking about some specific manga) Hence the risk of seeing such a wave of fandom devastating the forum is quite low imo.

For the moment the decision is on a stand-by, the registration code will probably stay for a couple more months.

[quote="tadsgirl":1kvigv48]Well, if you came here from a google search to an individual thread, and then sign up from there, you do miss the main page.
Not everything is an evil plot by newbies to piss off senior posters. :D[/quote:1kvigv48]
Ah you are right. I never thought about that. I will try to add the reg code somehow to the disclaimer page which comes before the registration. The reg code is just against the automatic registrations. We had big problems with the spam bots but now it’s more quite :)

I’ve been wondering what it was for as well (registered before it was there) :-P

Why not add a "captcha" to the registration form instead (if that’s possible)?

Captchas are broken and will be broken in future. OCRs and stuff are too good.