.ass subtitles and TV sets. (how to?)

aaaaand here I am, pestering you again with my noob side:

I am planning to make an afternoon of Batsu Game videos here, so watching those in a proper TV could be more awesome than at my PC (a desktop one). the TV has USB ports, so I can plug the unit without trouble. so, the question is: how .ass subtitles work on TV? and if they don’t work, what should I do to watch these videos with subs on TV?

thanks in advance

Hi,

You could try looking into XBMC, Bigun on the forum mentioned it and it sounds pretty cool:

http://xbmc.org/about/

This was their post about it:

http://gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php ... 670#p44670

If your TV supports USB, perhaps you can put the batsu on a USB drive and plug that in without having a laptop running. I’ve never tried it but the XBMC wiki does say it supports subtitle files. You can probably find more help there or on their forums, best of luck!

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Subtitles

maaaaaannn… seems difficult. is this a software? do I install it on TV?

I feel like Onishi-san trying to read English

[quote="Leo-Kun":74gwcvrj]maaaaaannn… seems difficult. is this a software? do I install it on TV?
I feel like Onishi-san trying to read English[/quote:74gwcvrj]

Sorry I’ve never used it but maybe you can private message Bigun, they said it’s simple to use once you get started. :)

But I think I was mistaken with my suggestion about solely using a USB drive. XBMC is indeed a software so you might need another device you can install software onto (PC, laptop, tablet).

Then simply plug that device into your TV via a HDMI cable.
XBMC supports Windows, Mac, Android, iOS, Linux, Ubuntu and Raspberry Pi.

By the way I actually watch the batsus on a Sony Bravia HD TV but it is directly above my PC.
I have a HDMI cable running between them then set it as my second monitor in Windows. The HD TV becomes an extension of my desktop, I just drag the video player window e.g. VLC across the desktop to watch it on my TV.

You can do the same thing with a laptop connected to a TV in your living room via a HDMI cable.

In this way you can use VLC or XBMC. XBMC is just designed to have a larger and nicer interface compared to VLC when playing videos on a big screen TV.

[quote="soudou":2whvai5k]You can do the same thing with a laptop connected to a TV in your living room via a HDMI cable. [/quote:2whvai5k]

so, there is no escape. I’ll have to search for this HDMI cable… but thanks anyway, sir. :)

[quote="Leo-Kun":u662apld]so, there is no escape. I’ll have to search for this HDMI cable… but thanks anyway, sir. :)[/quote:u662apld]

No problem. Could always ask on XBMC forums if there is a way around that. When I tried briefly looking into it for you though on their WIKI and via Google/Youtube tutorials I started to feel confused :rofl: So I think it’d just be a lot easier to simply plug something into your TV via HDMI. They’re pretty cheap cables and you may already have 1 if something you purchased came with 1 (like a PS3 or something). Best of luck.

I don´t know if it apply with all kind of tv, but I have a LG32"LE4600, and this model just read ass subs with mkv video files. Maybe you should try diferents formats video with ass., and see what happens ;) When I discovered that about my TV, I converted some batsus and other video files with ass sub, to mkv format.