Please help with PhD study survey

Sorry that I originally posted this in other forums (although they haven’t been approved) but I’m a PhD student in Tokyo doing a paper on exporting Japanese humor and I could really use your help. I want to know more about foreign Japanese comedy fans and this site seems to be a great start. Could you please take a few minutes and fill out my survey? I would really appreciate it.

https://jp.surveymonkey.com/r/2CG3M5D

Seems I’m the first one to do your survey, but I did filled it now.

On the last question:

[b:oxbbpe7u]Do you watch Downtown/ Japanese comedy with subtitles or without?[/b:oxbbpe7u]

We only can choice either with subtitle, or without subtitle.
But actually, many of us watch both, with and without subtitle. :!:

done^^

[quote="andylau-fr":36ijpxfk]On the last question:

[b:36ijpxfk]Do you watch Downtown/ Japanese comedy with subtitles or without?[/b:36ijpxfk]

We only can choice either with subtitle, or without subtitle.
But actually, many of us watch both, with and without subtitle. :!:[/quote:36ijpxfk]
Done as well.

That’s what I was about to say. I would include a third option in the last one with ·BOTH.
I hope this results will contribute to your study. Concerning Japanese humor… are you studying Media & Communications there? :)

If you need more help with the topic, please let us know ;)

Done. But yeah I watch both with and without. Whatever I can take. :rofl:
If I could watch everything subbed I would, but there’s so few translators for Japanese TV shows outside of anime and dramas that you have very little choice.

I also watch both, but I chose without subtitles because I watch more without subs than with subs.

Nice, I wonder what is his field, sociology/media?

Seems I’m the only one that just watches subbed episodes, I usually stay away from unsubbed ones. :D

You are missing so many episodes. :(

unsubbed seriously improved my Japanese, especially my written Japanese.

I know I’m losing many episodes to view, but I don’t like watching series with languages I don’t understand without subs. Gaki is one of those series, as I barely laugh, unlike with subbed episodes, where I laugh a lot.

[quote="VideogameDC":2e446m1d]I know I’m losing many episodes to view, but I don’t like watching series with languages I don’t understand without subs. Gaki is one of those series, as I barely laugh, unlike with subbed episodes, where I laugh a lot.[/quote:2e446m1d]

I didn’t think I’d watch unsubbed stuff either and well Gaki is the only show I watch unsubbed right now. After watching everything there was available subbed, I kind of got a feel for how they interact which carries over into the unsubbed stuff. There’s some stuff that transcends language like certain challenges and some skits can be grasped by following the order of events. Of course it would be wonderful if everything was subbed.

Same for all of Housei’s work (of which nothing is subbed :( ), if he visits a zoo or something, there’s lots of parts I can’t follow but then when he gets attacked by a snake it’s pretty clear and funny, so I always scan through to sift for the golden moments. :rofl: Even with talk shows where I can’t understand barely any of them, sometimes unexpected things happen. :lol:

shows like 世界のみんなに聞いてみた barley require subtitles because it’s not speech orientated like suberanai hanashi. I never watch suberanai hanashi without subs, it just too cruel :D

Thanks so much everyone. This study is a bit on the media studies/ comparative culture area. Usually I work in cultural anthropology though. Because I am in Tokyo and don’t really have the budget to spend a long time in Osaka I have been focusing on the comedy in Asakusa (rakugo and manzai). The theaters called [i:3li2sa8m]yose[/i:3li2sa8m] are quite interesting and easier to gain inside access compared to Yoshimoto. Thanks again guys.

PS Do you know of any similar sites or communities?

Let me tell you something [b:2ni1xjk3]soudou[/b:2ni1xjk3], even if I try to watch unsubbed Gaki episodes, I just can’t get the jokes or gags unless the gags don’t require too much talking. Like in the Weeping Competition, I was able to laugh at the parts where they tried to laugh, but still some jokes (Like when Matsumoto said something about Hamada made something like a parody of a commercial) were able for me to understand. This is why I wait for subbers to do their work on some episodes, otherwise I don’t get anything. :P

[quote="TokyoAshes":2ni1xjk3]shows like 世界のみんなに聞いてみた barley require subtitles because it’s not speech orientated[/quote:2ni1xjk3]

This is what I’m talking about! I mean, I don’t want that every japanese show shall focus more on actions rather than dialogs or spoken jokes! :D

[quote="tokyo2la":2bf44ff4]Thanks so much everyone. This study is a bit on the media studies/ comparative culture area. [/quote:2bf44ff4]so interesting! is this your dissertation?

[quote="tokyo2la":2x0e68ip]Thanks so much everyone. This study is a bit on the media studies/ comparative culture area. Usually I work in cultural anthropology though. Because I am in Tokyo and don’t really have the budget to spend a long time in Osaka I have been focusing on the comedy in Asakusa (rakugo and manzai). The theaters called [i:2x0e68ip]yose[/i:2x0e68ip] are quite interesting and easier to gain inside access compared to Yoshimoto. Thanks again guys.

PS Do you know of any similar sites or communities?[/quote:2x0e68ip]
There is a gaki no tsukai reddit
There probably is some overlap with this community

You could also try the idol communities?(for JE, AKB48, helloproject) Idols frequently appear on variety shows and many have their own shows.

[quote="VideogameDC":2vff2hrs]I just can’t get the jokes or gags unless the gags don’t require too much talking.[/quote:2vff2hrs]

Yep I agree, like I said, if they visit a zoo I can’t understand the talking but I can understand and enjoy their reactions to the animals. Like TokyoAshes I don’t watch talk shows like Suberanai Hanashi without subs, unless Housei has been on one as sometimes he does random things that I can understand without speech like suddenly jumping off the stage and such. He also is a very physical person so he uses a lot of hand gestures and expressions in his speech which helps a bit to follow things.

It is just a shame to not watch [b:2vff2hrs][i:2vff2hrs]any [/i:2vff2hrs][/b:2vff2hrs]unsubbed Gaki since there is stuff that can be enjoyed without speech, like you said with watching them trying to cry. :lol: And sadly it seems we’ll be waiting a long time if not forever for some stuff to be subbed. :(

[quote="tokyo2la":2vff2hrs]PS Do you know of any similar sites or communities?[/quote:2vff2hrs]

Maybe you can try D-Addicts forums, they post up variety shows there sometimes. It looks like the "Other Japanese TV Shows" section is where they discuss variety comedy shows:

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewforum_36.htm

[quote="TokyoAshes":2id2hyz9][quote="tokyo2la":2id2hyz9]Thanks so much everyone. This study is a bit on the media studies/ comparative culture area. [/quote:2id2hyz9]so interesting! is this your dissertation?[/quote:2id2hyz9]

Nope. Just one of three papers I need to turn in for my PhD candidacy exam.