looking for typesetters

34 posts Page 2 of 3
Oh, I thought it was the other way.

The typesetter first "sets" the times and then the translator uses that file to know what to translate and fill the blanks.
Any way works really, the timer/typesetter can indeed just type ?? or blanks in the absence of any text to work with.
Or if there's a Japanese transcript available they can use lines from that.
Alternatively the translator can just do it by ear, and type English into Notepad as they listen. Which the timer/typesetter can then use to create a proper subfile.
Still don't need to know Japanese, just set the first dialogue line to the first speaker and follow on from there to the next speaker etc. :)

Being familiar with hiragana would probably help but not essential, so you can more easily determine where sentences begin and end by ear (e.g. desu). Hiragana has 46 characters (compared to the 1000s of Kanji). I have no idea what a word in Hiragana means (unless it's really basic like Konnichiwa) but I try to remember them as pictures/sounds. Also this mini exam game helped me:
http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/sheaa/proje ... timer.html

あ a (someone holding up a cross to *A*ttack something like a vampire)
い i (I just remember this one as the more slanted one that isn’t ri… or like two “i”s side by side without dots)
う u (a sideways u)
え e (a stickman running to the right and going “eeee” whilst running)
お o (g*o*lf course with a flag and hole)
か ka (a mountain with a bird flying towards it to the right, the bird is going “ka ka”)
き ki (a key going downwards into a lock hole)
く ku (a bird beak going “ku ku” or a *Koo*kaburra bird beak)
け ke (a *ke*ndo stick on the left with a person holding it)
こ ko (a “co”at pocket)
さ sa (someone sitting, *sa*t)
し shi (hair of a woman, a she)
す su (a woman called *Su*e who is pregnant)
せ se (a peephole in a door to *se*e through)
そ so (a fancy *so*wing stitch, actually it should be “sewing” but…)
た ta (a finger *ta*pping something on the left)
ち chi (someone bending whilst doing tai-*chi*)
つ tsu (*tsu*nami wave)
て te (it looks like a t, when you say a t by itself, such as in “to go” but omit the “ogo”, it can sorta sound like “te”)
と to (a toe with a toenail sticking up, they need to see a doctor…)
な na (looks like a n with an a at the bottom right, also because the n is broken, its kind of negative like “na this ain’t a n really”)
に ni (a knee pointing to the left)
ぬ nu (looks like a eye with something being stabbed into it and that would make you go “nuuu!”)
ね ne (looks like a n with a tiny e at the bottom right)
の no (a circle with a line through it, such signs usually mean “no” e.g. “no smoking”)
は ha (the outer shape looks like a top *ha*t, maybe the bottom right circle is a monocle, very classy)
ひ hi (a smile, simply smiling at someone can be a way of saying “hi”)
ふ fu (a person with their arms out holding their hands out, shrugging and going “fu” as if to say “I dunno”)
へ he (an arrow pointing to *he*aven)
ほ ho (a *ho*use with an aerial sticking out of it)
ま ma (*ma*st of a ship)
み mi (a *mi*nk, top left is the head, bottom left is the front feet, then the body curves and comes down for the back legs which are together so you only see 1 leg)
む mu (a cow face, at the bottom is the squarish snout, it is going “moo” which sounds like “mu”)
め me (an eye, i, me!)
も mo (a castle wall with a *mo*at at the bottom)
ら ra (a *ra*ts ear)
り ri (arms coming together to *ri*p something apart)
る ru (someone with a little pouch, the pouch contains *ru*bies)
れ re (…well in all honesty I tend to forget this one. Maybe you can think of it like “re”st as in let’s rest under this tent)
ろ ro (a person sitting in a boat… the boat is implied, in the middle, their arm is sticking out whilst they *ro*w)
わ wa (the curve of a rollercoaster track, people on it are going “waaa” after they go over the top and down)
を wo (a crazy squiggle, whats it doing, “*wo*ah~” or a finger drawing a crazy line or being stabbed with something “*wo*ah!”)
ん n (looks like a n)
Thanks for the info, Mickstar. Typesetting sounds like a fun thing to do for the community, but I just have too much on my plate right now with school to devote time to it. Perhaps we'll see what the future holds.
Shappuri Agemaaasu!!
Thanks soudou!
I do know Hiragana/Katakana ! Well, it's been a while and I probably forgot, but after a revision, I should be fine :)
You use it to recognise what sentense to match or?
I may be trying to do typesetting :)
Fengson wrote:
Thanks soudou!
I do know Hiragana/Katakana ! Well, it's been a while and I probably forgot, but after a revision, I should be fine :)
You use it to recognise what sentense to match or?
I may be trying to do typesetting :)

Ah I don't even know Katakana heh. I always have to look those up.

But yeah in most cases you don't need to know Hiragana, Katakana or Kanji to do timing/typesetting. Since you're just marking whenever someone is speaking regardless of language. It'd be all the same process even if they're speaking Latin!

I mainly find recognising Hiragana symbols useful when I have to use a Japanese transcript without any timing like the stuff I find on that one site which has some Gaki episode transcripts. For example, there'll be a line like this in the transcript:
それはなんでしょう?やすえさん、10秒以内にお答えください。
Following by ear I know the start of this is "sore wa", then the end is when I hear "kudasai"

Cool that you'll be trying it out, if you have any difficulty just ask on the forums. :nod:
Like soudou said it's really not a requirement to know any Japanese if you want to typeset, especially if you're pre-typesetting (typesetting before the translation, which is what we do at Team Gaki), since you'll have to go through the file again anyways after translation to check for any errors (in moving text for example, or in text that's slowly being revealed etc.) and can then check if there's lines that are too long etc.

It probably comes in more handy in typesetting after translation, since you could mach the text easier and things like that. It would most likely also come in handy if you're doing karaoke for songs (like Anime intros and the like) since in karaoke-mode you're trying to match the text to the words/syllables of the song (depending on how fast the lyrics are), but karaoke is not that common in gaki related stuff as far as I've seen (which I'm thankfull for, since some karaoke things, like effects, can be quite complex).

Also concernig the "matching the font of the text onscreen": That's only really possible if you hardsub, since with softsubs you would have to include the font that people would then have to install - otherwise the player would give an error message and use the standard style (some players don't give out an error message - like VLC as far as I'm aware - but they will still revert to the standard style if a font is not installed on the system). That's one of the reasons why finding soft-subbed Anime is quite hard, since unless you install the fonts things like the karaoke wouldn't look as good with the Arial font.
So, mickstar813, have you found typesetter to help you out with Kiki Series?
I just hope nobody is working on Kiki Castella.
Sacro wrote:
Also concernig the "matching the font of the text onscreen": That's only really possible if you hardsub, since with softsubs you would have to include the font that people would then have to install - otherwise the player would give an error message and use the standard style (some players don't give out an error message - like VLC as far as I'm aware - but they will still revert to the standard style if a font is not installed on the system). That's one of the reasons why finding soft-subbed Anime is quite hard, since unless you install the fonts things like the karaoke wouldn't look as good with the Arial font.

Can you just include it inside the MKV file as an attachment? Then the player will use it.

I just opened a random anime episode and it has 14 attached .ttf files! xD
Hidensetsu wrote:
I just hope nobody is working on Kiki Castella.

Does this mean that you are working on it? That is a great episode...

TofuPanda just announced that they are starting on Kiki canned tuna and mizu yokan - though I'm not sure if these are for your translations mickstar, or if they have a translator? They asked me to translate for them (had to remind them I'm not fluent at all! :lol: ), which made me think maybe they are just typesetting at the moment... Anyway, whatever the case I hope everyone gets their clips done with success!
Since Kiki episodes are being discussed let me give you a little disclosure so we don't have too much overlap: I have completely typeset Canned Tuna and it's in translation, I have Mizu Yokan typset 50% complete and I have Castella at about 80% complete. Sorry if any of you were working on those, I mean you still can but just be aware that it's also in the works somewhere else.

@Knudow: Hmm you might be onto something there, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough about MKV's to confirm that. I might look into that more in the future, but at the moment I'd rather have more releases than fancy text haha.
It's kinda sad that two teams are working at the same two Kiki episodes :( But hey, it's better than no episodes at all! :)
Sacro wrote:
Since Kiki episodes are being discussed let me give you a little disclosure so we don't have too much overlap: I have completely typeset Canned Tuna and it's in translation, I have Mizu Yokan typset 50% complete and I have Castella at about 80% complete. Sorry if any of you were working on those, I mean you still can but just be aware that it's also in the works somewhere else.

@Knudow: Hmm you might be onto something there, but I'm not really knowledgeable enough about MKV's to confirm that. I might look into that more in the future, but at the moment I'd rather have more releases than fancy text haha.

I sent this quote to Kazuma from Tofupanda just so he's aware of it anyway!
Sacro wrote:

Woah thats great. :o
By "Castella at about 80% complete" do you mean typesetting/timing. Hidensetsu is trying to translate it so maybe they can use your timed/typeset file. :nod:
soudou wrote:
By "Castella at about 80% complete" do you mean typesetting/timing. Hidensetsu is trying to translate it so maybe they can use your timed/typeset file. :nod:

Yes I'm talking about typeset status. I don't really have anything against them using my file, since mickstar currently doesn't really have time and hasn't been online in some time, and our other translator, who is currently working on Canned Tuna, also doesn't have much time.
34 posts Page 2 of 3