Konya ga yamada

How exactly does this translate into "Tonight is crucial"?

Thanks in advance.

It literally means "tonight is a mountain" or "tonight is the peak."
It’s a colloquialism that means "tonight is crucial" in conversational usage.

Just like in English the term "top dog" means "a person of primary importance," and not "a member of the canine family standing at high altitude."

When pronounced incorrectly, as seen in the recurring loudspeaker joke during batsu games, "konya ga yamada" also means "tonight is Yamada." Yamada being a popular surname.

Hope this helps. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’ll go back to lurking.

@tipper

very well said :D :clap: :bow:

How about its variations like ‘Honya Ga Yamada’. Anyone has any ideas about that ‘Tonight’s #%&!*’? Is there a swear word involved?

[quote="Tipper":mpxqw5xo]It literally means "tonight is a mountain" or "tonight is the peak."
It’s a colloquialism that means "tonight is crucial" in conversational usage.

[/quote:mpxqw5xo]

It’s used by doctors when they’re saying that this night may possibly be the patients last. I’m pretty sure… :emo:

[quote="xxXSawyerXxx":11yyw7zf]How about its variations like ‘Honya Ga Yamada’. Anyone has any ideas about that ‘Tonight’s #%&!*’? Is there a swear word involved?[/quote:11yyw7zf]

Honya ga Yamada = The Bookstore is Yamada

’ blank’[b:11yyw7zf]ya[/b:11yyw7zf] usually signifies a type of store when itself is not part of a true Japanese word. Hon 本 which means book combines with ‘ya’ to become book store. Denki(electric) + ‘ya’ becomes an electronics store and so on.

can you please upload Konya ga Yamada First Appearance on the putlucker