Funny Story...

So today I tried to read and understand a conversation between two native speaking Japanese.

One was wishing one luck with the diet she started, and the other was well starting a diet.

I knew the person who is starting a diet and I wanted to say “American diets are worthless. In the end you’ll have a negative result and actually gain weight. Besides, you are not fat! Please calm down.”

Instead of that, I mistyped the “You are not fat!” sentence.

The correct sentence would be “Futotte nai yo!” which is you aren’t fat!

However what I typed is “aburabutori ja nai yo!” which I got from a english to Japanese dictionary when looking for the word “fat person” and wanted to say “you aren’t a fat person” to get the general meaning across. However, what I didn’t know was that this actually means something more than that. It means " you aren’t bubbly fat, but you are still fat"… which is completely inappropriate for the situation.

(Everything Paraphrased and translated into english from here on out).

So her original friend was like “Wait WHAT!? Shocked smiley face” and the friend going on a diet was like “So that means I’m not fat like oils but I am still fat… Your thoughts are a little out of context… **** Off!”

She then wrote on my facebook wall “I HATE YOU!!! YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES A LITTLE!!! YOU ARE GOING TO JAPAN FOR CHIRST SAKE!!!”

(Again all of this is taking place in Japanese and being translated to english for your ease).

Suddenly aware of some problem with what I said, I asked a Japanese friend from skype for help me understand what went wrong, and that’s how I found out the difference between what I meant to say and what I had said…

My god this SUCKS!.. I feel so guilty, so bad, so stupid! I apologized like a milliion times over, and well IDK if she’ll forgive me. Although my friends thought this was hilarious when I told them the story and so I figured you’d find it entertaining as well. So did you enjoy?

One of my friends added the joke 'That’s one small typo for shinpan, one giant failure for his manhood."