Junior/senior relationship...

I am a little confused about this type of relationship between entertainers.

In the Hospital Batsu, Endo or Tanaka called Chihara Junior "sensei". Isn’t he younger than them?

Also, the members of the "round table talk" don’t show any respect to any them, but I’m pretty sure they’re newer in the entertainment industry. And Downtown never accepted this type of treatment from juniors.

Is it because some of them are from Takeshi Gundan? Should just the group matter?

It’s slightly more complicated than in other shows :D

iirc, sensei not only means teacher, but it’s also used as a title for doctors

[quote:zqgfyu5t]In the Hospital Batsu, Endo or Tanaka called Chihara Junior "sensei". Isn’t he younger than them?[/quote:zqgfyu5t]

They called Chihara sensei because he was a surgery doctor (plastic surgeon, acting like one) in the show. And they (Tanaka and Endo) were just nurses.

As for the "round table talk", is there a specific video where you saw that?
Because if you’re talking about the part of batsu games where the Gaki Members sit back and listen to gossip about them, the other comedians always use the honorific "san" after their names.
If they say something like "Matsumoto-san did something stupid" well then they are still using the honorific, even if bashing them. But that isn’t disrespect really, as they are all in their respective roles. I think it’d be way more offensive if they just said something normal, but without using the "san" after it.

[quote="vulpes":fxpf3feh]I am a little confused about this type of relationship between entertainers.

In the Hospital Batsu, Endo or Tanaka called Chihara Junior "sensei". Isn’t he younger than them? [/quote:fxpf3feh]

They call him sensei because he’s dressed as a doctor, however, Chihara Junior’s geireki (record of being a celebrity) is from 89, while Kokoriko are from 92. He’s technically their sempai as well. Downtown are actually known for allowing kohai (juniors) to trick them, mess with them, etc. Quite a few of the punishers in the 24jikan Tag were from NSC (Yoshimoto’s "comedy college"). Also, they allow Tanaka and Endo pretty even time on their show even though Downtown and Yamazaki are their sempai.

If you are a kohai and a comedian, though, you had better bow low and snap out a "Ohayo gozaimasu!" or a "Otsukaresama deshita!" everytime a sempai walks by. Fucking up your aisatsu is the quickest way to never become a guest on TV or have a place in a manzai show EVER AGAIN.

[quote="Leon":3n1xxk2h]iirc, sensei not only means teacher, but it’s also used as a title for doctors[/quote:3n1xxk2h]
I remembered that only after I went to bed :(

[quote="Hidensetsu":3n1xxk2h]As for the "round table talk", is there a specific video where you saw that?
Because if you’re talking about the part of batsu games where the Gaki Members sit back and listen to gossip about them, the other comedians always use the honorific "san" after their names.
If they say something like "Matsumoto-san did something stupid" well then they are still using the honorific, even if bashing them. But that isn’t disrespect really, as they are all in their respective roles. I think it’d be way more offensive if they just said something normal, but without using the "san" after it.[/quote:3n1xxk2h]
I cant explain it very well… But what caught my attention was their body language. In all videos their behavior was a little too dominant and confident, even for playing a role. I almost never saw that in other shows.

[quote="FlydayChinatown":3n1xxk2h] Chihara Junior’s geireki (record of being a celebrity) is from 89, while Kokoriko are from 92. [/quote:3n1xxk2h]
Then that was the problem. The earliest show I saw with him was from around 99. I thought that was the year in which he first appeared. I should dig up his older shows.

[quote="FlydayChinatown":3n1xxk2h]If you are a kohai and a comedian, though, you had better bow low and snap out a "Ohayo gozaimasu!" or a "Otsukaresama deshita!" everytime a sempai walks by. Fucking up your aisatsu is the quickest way to never become a guest on TV or have a place in a manzai show EVER AGAIN.[/quote:3n1xxk2h]
Every time I read something about the junior/senior relationship I think of Shimada Shinsuke. It must be hard for the newer comedians.

[quote:5p1l044t]Then that was the problem. The earliest show I saw with him was from around 99. I thought that was the year in which he first appeared. I should dig up his older shows.[/quote:5p1l044t]

Your geireki begins once your talent company begins managing you. Some owarai are pushed through NSC if they are Yoshimoto, but once they graduate that begins their geireki. Quite a few go to radio, some live shows, and some guest on tv. One of my favorite shows was called "Speilburger" and FUJIWARA and Shampoo Hat were the hosts with all the manzai talent that are famous now as guest hosts. It takes about 10 years before you can get noticed to the point where you make money.

[quote="FlydayChinatown":jnujjv5w][quote:jnujjv5w]Then that was the problem. The earliest show I saw with him was from around 99. I thought that was the year in which he first appeared. I should dig up his older shows.[/quote:jnujjv5w]

Your geireki begins once your talent company begins managing you. Some owarai are pushed through NSC if they are Yoshimoto, but once they graduate that begins their geireki. Quite a few go to radio, some live shows, and some guest on tv. One of my favorite shows was called "Speilburger" and FUJIWARA and Shampoo Hat were the hosts with all the manzai talent that are famous now as guest hosts. It takes about 10 years before you can get noticed to the point where you make money.[/quote:jnujjv5w]

Thanks for the information!

Out of curiosity, do you know if many talent-company-signed owarai do web shows on services like NicoNico and Youtube, or is this still a realm mostly ly populated by amatuers?

[quote="FlydayChinatown":1bzf2ffa][quote:1bzf2ffa]Then that was the problem. The earliest show I saw with him was from around 99. I thought that was the year in which he first appeared. I should dig up his older shows.[/quote:1bzf2ffa]

Your geireki begins once your talent company begins managing you. Some owarai are pushed through NSC if they are Yoshimoto, but once they graduate that begins their geireki. Quite a few go to radio, some live shows, and some guest on tv. One of my favorite shows was called "Speilburger" and FUJIWARA and Shampoo Hat were the hosts with all the manzai talent that are famous now as guest hosts. It takes about 10 years before you can get noticed to the point where you make money.[/quote:1bzf2ffa]

The show sounds interesting… Thanks for the information :D

[quote="paichu":1bzf2ffa]

Out of curiosity, do you know if many talent-company-signed owarai do web shows on services like NicoNico and Youtube, or is this still a realm mostly ly populated by amatuers?[/quote:1bzf2ffa]

I know a few older comedians who made some sort of radio program for NicoNico, but I think they are mostly used by newbies looking for fame.

[quote="paichu":1o4v8rcl]

Out of curiosity, do you know if many talent-company-signed owarai do web shows on services like NicoNico and Youtube, or is this still a realm mostly ly populated by amatuers?[/quote:1o4v8rcl]

It’s beginning to branch out into the web, but the majority of geinin do either chihohoso (local TV) or they show up sometimes in national TV. Manzai/Owarai go straight to TV if possible. Look at "Waratte ii tomo", it’s always been a vehicle to push either owarai or musical talent.

My claim to fame? I taught the family of "Savannah"'s Takahashi English and I talked to Degawake’s younger brother on the train. No one cares though.