Quitting Gaki No Tsukai

I’ve been watching this program and any thing related to it religiously for the past couple of months now and I know this may sound really stupid and weird, but for some reason I cannot get over the sheer ruthlessness of Hamada. It’s lie my subconscious has put Hamada in the same place as Kim Jung Un or something like that.

For some reason my mind is so hot wired to the idea that you shouldn’t torture or hurt your friends like that of Hamada that I literally have to close the video and make sure I never watch it again.

But after seeing the episode where Tanaka is attacked by Hamada, my mind for some reason cannot bare to see Hamada’s face at all lest I start getting cold-sweats.

I mean I’ll punch my friends on the shoulders or slap them just to be funny but he takes it to another level.

Of course I will still watch Batsu games but I just cant continue watching stuff with hamada in it.

Was anyone else surprised when they saw Hamada’s cruelty?

I felt very uncomfortable when I first saw the Hamada Sleep Endurance thing and had to stop watching. That was a long time ago and since then I’ve come to know and understand the Gaki members better and now I find it funny.
His behaviour still does upset me sometimes but it’s kind of easy to understand when you think of his past and personality.
What helped me accept him the way he is was thinking that it’s mostly the fame and public persona that allows him to be like that. Sure he’s like that privately too, but not as intensely. I’m sure he’s a good husband and a good father as well despite everything!
What worries me most is whether or not he truly understands or cares when he really hurts others… But all we see really is an act of some sort, we can’t tell what the truth behind it is at all.
I still do draw the line at that rape-prank on Yamasaki and I find the sexual harrassment -type things Hamada does pretty terrible anyway.

It’s a little well known fact that it is just an act and he’s actually quite kind. If even the act puts you off watching then that is a shame, but maybe take some relief in knowing that it’s for the cameras.
If you’re famous for being a sadist, you’re gonna live up to it as much as you can. It’s entertainment.

Oh, and you could try watching things other than Gaki that he is in, you may see a different side.

[quote="reina":31jku01e]It’s a little well known fact that it is just an act and he’s actually quite kind. If even the act puts you off watching then that is a shame, but maybe take some relief in knowing that it’s for the cameras.
If you’re famous for being a sadist, you’re gonna live up to it as much as you can. It’s entertainment.

Oh, and you could try watching things other than Gaki that he is in, you may see a different side.[/quote:31jku01e]

This.
He is just one of the best of his line of work. When he is being a tsukkomi, he puts all his effort into it. You have to keep in mind he is doing his work, he is delivering exactly what the audience expects of him.
There are videos in which he isn’t the host or isn’t in the role of a tsukkomi, and you can see he is way calmer than that.
In the end it’s all a big joke, all for the comedy, don’t worry about it.

edit: Here’s an example:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xry2ox ... X_XerVOR8E

I haven’t watched it all, just checked out the first episode, but there’s also the Ashita Ga Aru Sa series which has some episodes subbed. It was a drama series Hamada starred in alongside Tanaka and Endo etc. It has him in a role where he is looking out for them as a manager and helping them to get by despite difficulties.

http://gaki-no-tsukai.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2433

To be honest the first time I saw Hamada be cruel to the other members I found it hilarious.
Some of my mates thought Hamada went too far in the Gottsu prank and one of my mates refused to watch anymore Gaki because he didn’t like Hamada’s sleep endurance. (lol)
But I enjoy Hamada’s sadistic side. :lol:

Plus as others have said he is playing his character, he is different on other shows.

Not just that he acts differently on other shows. Matsumoto has said on occasions that Hamada in private acts very responsible and properly. I also have noticed that Hamada tones down the violence automatically whenever children are in the vicinity. That, for one, shows to me that he indeed cares about others and that his sadistic act is just that, an act.

For the Yamazaki rape-prank, I have a feeling that is was actually Matsumotos idea. I have gotten that impression that it might be Hamada that bosses around on stage but that it is Matsumoto that is in fact in charge. During several shows of Gaki and Lincoln, it is Matsumoto that has showed by subtle gestures or outright told staff and others that enough is enough or how things are to be decided. For example. On the new year show (I think it was) when the lincoln crew went outside and some of them was supposed to do the limbo thing with the flaming cotton. The judge was uncertain wheter to accept a member´s acting and looked quickly to Matsumoto who clearly showed how the judge where to judge! I do, firmly, believe that it is Matsumoto who is in fact the leader and the one who decides what should happen on the show or not. As with Cocorico, Tanaka may be the Boke but it is he who comes up with the material. Perhaps it is like that for all the manzai-duos? The Boke gets slapped around but it is he/she who has the real power? Anyone who knows or have thoughts on this? As I said, this is my interpretation on the whole relationship of the boke/tsukkomi and wheter Hamada is a sadist or not (for real).

This actually made me feel alot better, I am actually itching to see more GNT

so i guess his on camera cruelness wasn’t as off-putting as I thought thanks mates.

I kind of wish they made an episode of "Professional" about Hamada. The one about Matsumoto was really an eye-opener, so I think it would be only fair to give Hama-chan a chance to present a more realistic image of himself.

[quote="Sefidum":hk9ruei6]As with Cocorico, Tanaka may be the Boke but it is he who comes up with the material. Perhaps it is like that for all the manzai-duos? The Boke gets slapped around but it is he/she who has the real power? Anyone who knows or have thoughts on this? As I said, this is my interpretation on the whole relationship of the boke/tsukkomi and wheter Hamada is a sadist or not (for real).[/quote:hk9ruei6]
This isn’t really true. Matsumoto is a very innovative person and is often in charge of different happenings, but programs like GnT and Lincoln do have regular meetings where the main personalities, producers, writers and other cast decide what to do by sharing ideas and considering all the possibilities, as seen in the [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWHTZ3c_xH8:hk9ruei6]aforementioned documentary[/url:hk9ruei6].
When it comes to kombi, some people have simply more inspiration / talent for making sketches and manzai than others (just like some people are better at art, music, science, sports etc.) so it’s only natural that one person would be more responsible for joke material. On the other hand, some people have a natural personality for performing comedy, which is just as (or even more) important than the jokes themselves. Hamada is a great example of a tsukkomi that can naturally react to any situation and make it funny (just watch any GNT Free Talk for the proof), while Udo (of Kyaa~in!, Lincoln regular, the big guy with blond mohawk) makes you laugh just with his appearance and natural behavior (speaking style, body language).

In summary, kombi is a partnership, where two people can cover the other’s weaknesses with their own strenghts, sharing the burden of producing comedy how they see fit.

I think my first Downtown-related show was the Kids Drawing segment, Hamada seemed to be really kind with the kids, especially after Matsumoto made fun of that one kid and made him cry.

There is a video somewhere (may even be up on this site) of Hamada and his family on vacation to, I think, Hawaii. It shows him out of the spotlight and as a family man.

regardless if its an act or not (altho i believe its an act). its aired for entertainment which comes in all forms and we have different taste. if u dont like that hamada has made a few people cry or enjoys when they are in pain, simply dont watch those parts. but obviously many do like it.

i personally enjoyed very much when he made Tanaka cry as well as You and the other girls on the Cinderella skit. GO HAMADA GO!! :rock: :rock: :rock:

Just remember.

[img:1pzde4ha]http://i.imgur.com/zEyud17.jpg[/img:1pzde4ha]

i think hamada only lives in his reputation being sadistic and harsh tsukkomi and all. i kinda agree that in some videos, hamada is going way too far but still i think it is within the acceptable range in japan when in comes to violence in tv. personally, i prefer hamada’s way rather than to watch a super lame fake pranks that should be including some sort of violence.

Dude, all the Gaki members are in their consent. It’s a show. It’s probably in the script. When the Gaki members are attacked by Hamada… inside, they’re laughing hard and not crying.

Plus, Each Japanese comedian has their own trait/characteristics.

Hamada is a sadist.
Matsumoto likes doing comical situations.
Yamasaki resembles a little kid getting bullied a lot.
Endo is said to be a "super pervert".
Tanaka is the kind-hearted animal expert.

Like other comedians as well (Ameagari Kesshitai,Tenso,Takeshi Gundan,etc).

If you’re really hurt from the show, then i suggest you watch something else. Or watch Gaki No Tsukai in their Kiki challenges or cooking episodes.

[quote="ymk19":8khzeuhz]Or watch Gaki No Tsukai in their Kiki challenges or cooking episodes.[/quote:8khzeuhz]

Well, so long as you don’t look at Yamasaki, since he’s still not safe in the Kiki series. :lol: Hamada slapped him round the face with a bar of chocolate for example and still smacks his head on occasion. :rofl:

But they get along very well when not playing up to their respective comedy acts of bully & victim. :) I’m sure the next Gaki no Tsukai episode will show that (the continuation of the tribute to Hamada for his birthday, which will include Yamasaki’s letter of thanks to him).
The first episode of the tribute had a very touching letter of thanks from Tanaka to Hamada, its great that the Gaki Team plan to sub it.