Subbers: How did you learn Japanese?

Discuss everything Gaki no Tsukai here.
38 posts Page 3 of 3
azerot49 wrote:
My dad is Japanese and I grew up in Japan while my mom is half American and Filipina I think. So when I communicate with my family it's either I speak Japanese or English. I'm not even confident if my English is good yet so it's hard doing my job as a pilot.

Nice to see a flying comrade here, I wouldn't expect that :) you have the ATPL ?
I noticed Humble Bundle has a Japanese weekly sale going on, and one of the games is In-fluent which you can get with the Japanese pack, to learn the Japanese words for items, like isu for chair, neko for cat, beedo for bed, hon for book etc

It gives some verbs and adjactive examples also. And you don't need the full bundle to get it, just $1.

Good for a start :)

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly
DABhand wrote:
I noticed Humble Bundle has a Japanese weekly sale going on, and one of the games is In-fluent which you can get with the Japanese pack, to learn the Japanese words for items, like isu for chair, neko for cat, beedo for bed, hon for book etc

It gives some verbs and adjactive examples also. And you don't need the full bundle to get it, just $1.

Good for a start :)

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

USA only, right? :|

Kawaii~
VideogameDC wrote:

Nope, I've been buying Humble Bundles on and off for awhile now.
soudou wrote:
VideogameDC wrote:

Nope, I've been buying Humble Bundles on and off for awhile now.

I see. Humble Bundles sound like a good inversion, so I may get some in the future. :)

Kawaii~
eikichi90 wrote:
azerot49 wrote:
My dad is Japanese and I grew up in Japan while my mom is half American and Filipina I think. So when I communicate with my family it's either I speak Japanese or English. I'm not even confident if my English is good yet so it's hard doing my job as a pilot.

Nice to see a flying comrade here, I wouldn't expect that :) you have the ATPL ?

Nice so i'm not the only one here :rock: . I just received my ATPL last december :D
soudou wrote:
Chiruba wrote:
The only exception is if someone is only wanting to learn to speak.

What advice would you give for someone only wanting to subtitle TV shows? :rofl:
It's as good a goal as any but working or living in Japan I guess has a wider spectrum to learn (e.g. writing). Or maybe I just hope that. :(

Anyway it's great that you're aiming to subtitle stuff in the future. Here's hoping we see you on here someday posting some goodies for us. Best of luck in your studies! I admire your dedication :D

Thanks for your kind words. I also hope to be contributing here some day.

It's hard to say the best way to attack learning how to sub. It's a struggle I obviously face at the moment. My Japanese teacher gives us YouTube videos to translate, and she always gives us ones with difficult accents and dialects so we can develop our listening skills. It's hard and can be disheartening at times, but is probably going to be the best way to learn.

The good thing about Japanese TV is that a lot of the time they will throw up their own subtitles (I'm guessing due to accents and dialects? Or perhaps to add emphasis?), so learning your reading and writing will help in this situation also. However if you want to go from zero knowledge just to subbing, there's no real need to know how to read and write (except that its one of the most fun parts IMO).
Thanks for the advice Chiruba, greatly appreciated. :bow:
Yeah the on-screen subtitles are a big help. I think it is for emphasis or for disambiguation e.g. words that sound the same in Hiragana and are made clearer by Kanji.
Of course that ambiguous aspect is the root of a lot of wordplay jokes! Funnily enough I helped someone in Japan understand an English wordplay joke recently:
"I have an idea, I come in, bear with me..." :?:
(long pause) :|
"...Well!?" :@
"That's it, I come in and there's a bear with me." |(

Best of luck with your studies Chiruba, keep at it! :nod:
38 posts Page 3 of 3