Batsu Cosplay?

Some friends and I are considering cosplaying the punishment guys, but we’re having trouble trying to think of what to use for our butt slappers. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Maybe a rubber police baton / truncheon.

This may work.

Buy some of those foam noodles used in swimming pools: http://www.amazon.com/RAND-Swim-Noodle/dp/B0029XD0CG

And then put a broom or mop stick inside that.

Good idea, that’d be the cheaper option and likely safer too so might be more likely to be allowed on premises.

[quote="icursetheday":3nzwska8]Some friends and I are considering cosplaying the punishment guys, but we’re having trouble trying to think of what to use for our butt slappers. Any suggestions? Thanks![/quote:3nzwska8]
good luck, i’d like to see how that plays out :^) ! usually japanese show remakes are disappointing at times (like mtv.'s silent library :puke: )

[quote="TokyoAshes":patqpshc][quote="icursetheday":patqpshc]Some friends and I are considering cosplaying the punishment guys, but we’re having trouble trying to think of what to use for our butt slappers. Any suggestions? Thanks![/quote:patqpshc]
good luck, i’d like to see how that plays out :^) ! usually japanese show remakes are disappointing at times (like mtv.'s silent library :puke: )[/quote:patqpshc]

Fist of Zen did it right, and it was on the U.K.
I wonder what happened to the american MTV that their Silent Library just didn’t felt… Funny.

[quote="VideogameDC":19xmgz4j][quote="TokyoAshes":19xmgz4j][quote="icursetheday":19xmgz4j]Some friends and I are considering cosplaying the punishment guys, but we’re having trouble trying to think of what to use for our butt slappers. Any suggestions? Thanks![/quote:19xmgz4j]
good luck, i’d like to see how that plays out :^) ! usually japanese show remakes are disappointing at times (like mtv.'s silent library :puke: )[/quote:19xmgz4j]

Fist of Zen did it right, and it was on the U.K.
I wonder what happened to the american MTV that their Silent Library just didn’t felt… Funny.[/quote:19xmgz4j]
i didn’t know there was a british one :o . yeah i never found any of their gigs funny either, it’s just that they lacked basic owarai reactions like the real one.

UK, US, French one too.
Maybe others? spain?

[quote="andylau-fr":z4hlmruf]Maybe others? spain?[/quote:z4hlmruf]

The only japanese-inspired show I remember is one of those "the wall is moving towards you and it has a hole with a shape/silhouette. You have to make the shape with your body and pass the wall"

And we had Takeshi Castle dubbed, it was quite famous. It even got a "remake" with new dubs a few years ago.

[quote="TokyoAshes":1uw7jnzm] i didn’t know there was a british one :o[/quote:1uw7jnzm]

There was actually a British one literally called Silent Library like the MTV one too. I never watched it though I was tempted because of the commentary host [url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AdamBuxton/videos:1uw7jnzm]Adam Buxton[/url:1uw7jnzm] (most don’t know him but I loved the '90s Adam & Joe show). However I heard the actual show itself was dull so I’m not inclined to bother.

The thing is they tend to use members of the public or celebrities. In Japan, [url=http://www.wired.com/2012/11/ff-japanese-tv-punishment-games/:1uw7jnzm]agencies train up comedians to get familiar with being subjected to stuff and making it funny[/url:1uw7jnzm]. Knudow got there before me, I was gonna mention the the hugely popular Youtube clip titled "Human Tetris" from a Japanese gameshow (I forget which). Like Silent Library it was recreated in lots of countries as "Hole in the Wall" etc. But again they used celebrities etc. I don’t know what it is but there just seems to be something more mundane and staged about it. Japanese comedians are truly talented at improvising for comedic effect and so I think that makes their reactions feel more entertaining, they should give up and just sub the original Japanese shows for TV like they do with foreign films.

[quote="Knudow":2mk68v3g][quote="andylau-fr":2mk68v3g]Maybe others? spain?[/quote:2mk68v3g]

The only japanese-inspired show I remember is one of those "the wall is moving towards you and it has a hole with a shape/silhouette. You have to make the shape with your body and pass the wall"

And we had Takeshi Castle dubbed, it was quite famous. It even got a "remake" with new dubs a few years ago.[/quote:2mk68v3g]

Also nowadays there are certain shows that directly plagiarize certain Gnt parts and skits, such as the 5 rangers one.
Dealing with physical contests tv shows… they rather make them with crappy celebrities and softened them a lot. :(

Make sure to check the security directions of the con that you will assist. If the butt-slapping stick is going to be like the ones used in soft-combat, there won’t be much trouble, but… who knows, many times security directions can be sooo picky.

[quote="Knudow":3oc3ykkt][quote="andylau-fr":3oc3ykkt]Maybe others? spain?[/quote:3oc3ykkt]

And we had Takeshi Castle dubbed, it was quite famous. It even got a "remake" with new dubs a few years ago.[/quote:3oc3ykkt]

I think it’s called ‘‘Humor Amarillo’’ instead of ‘‘Takeshi’s Castle’’. That spanish dub is the funniest one I’ve ever saw in a while.

[quote="soudou":3kyggfpz]I don’t know what it is but there just seems to be something more mundane and staged about it. Japanese comedians are truly talented at improvising for comedic effect and so I think that makes their reactions feel more entertaining…[/quote:3kyggfpz]

Totally agreed! The first Gaki clip that I watched was silent library, I actually thought that they were in a real library :lol: … that’s how well they sold it! Generally, what I love about them is that they keep putting themselves in these "restrictive situations" that are inevitable: don’t laugh, don’t this and that.

[quote:3kyggfpz]they should give up and just sub the original Japanese shows for TV like they do with foreign films.[/quote:3kyggfpz]

Exactly, instead of killing the show. When I saw the MTV version with Justin Bieber, I was just offended :D .
However, I think there won’t be as many views if it was subbed, because I know a lot of people who just can’t stand subs. I used to be like that, I was not used to the pace, I had to pause to get every detail. But you get use to it I guess.

[quote="TokyoAshes":3hbeibf3]However, I think there won’t be as many views if it was subbed, because I know a lot of people who just can’t stand subs. I used to be like that, I was not used to the pace, I had to pause to get every detail. But you get use to it I guess.[/quote:3hbeibf3]

They show subtitled foreign films here though usually late at night for those who don’t mind something different. But yeah it’s certainly brave when a film only releases subtitled, like Hayao Miyazaki’s final film The Wind Rises. When I went to see Pan’s Labyrinth at the cinema here in the UK they had to warn me that it was only in Spanish. But from anime I’m used to reading subtitles. I’m not against dubs though, there’s some really good ones out there and if they put subs on as an option everyone wins.

Though voice acting often seems to be a second choice career here for celebrities compared to Japan where they’re treated like celebrities on their own, so dubs don’t always seem to capture the same level of expression. Same with comedians really, a lot of comedians here have to cycle through stage gigs with little exposure but theres a big industry built up around comedians in Japan, they’re literally like celebrities. I guess thats why when they recreate it over here they pick celebrities, but it just isn’t the same.

[quote="soudou":dizgutr5]
theres a big industry built up around comedians in Japan, they’re literally like celebrities. I guess thats why when they recreate it over here they pick celebrities, but it just isn’t the same.[/quote:dizgutr5]

yeah, its the different context, eh. But It would be awesome if Japanese Comedians "perform" overseas(like north america, Europe) , just like our celebrities; yesterday I saw Joseph Gorden-levitt here in Montreal shooting a hollywood movie (the walk). Not sure if they already do though… :^)

Yeah that would be awesome. Matsumoto does go abroad for his film stuff, but in foreign interviews he seems keen to be known more as a director instead of a comedian outside of Japan.

I saw this video of Japanese comedian Arino who does the Gamecenter series visiting America. The series got popular abroad through fansubs and now has an official DVD release adapted from the work of the fansubbers. I wish the same had happened with Gaki ;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnT3UIr66A

[quote="soudou":3giwsngr]Yeah that would be awesome. Matsumoto does go abroad for his film stuff, but in foreign interviews he seems keen to be known more as a director instead of a comedian outside of Japan.

I saw this video of Japanese comedian Arino who does the Gamecenter series visiting America. The series got popular abroad through fansubs and now has an official DVD release adapted from the work of the fansubbers. I wish the same had happened with Gaki ;(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGnT3UIr66A[/quote:3giwsngr]

Someday Nippon TV will notice the western fanbase and it will treat us like their equals and lot like the cousins with chickenpox ;)