[EN Sub] First 15 mins of 2014 Batsu Game

罰ゲーム
Perhaps the best known Gaki no Tsukai episodes are those dealing with batsu games, or punishment games, in which one or more of the cast members are subjected to after losing bets, major competition, or physical challenges
37 posts Page 3 of 3
Panda wrote:
Why are you even complaining :/ I'm happy someone else is subbing.

TeamGaki was ridiculously slow on what they released since last years batsu game and I'm not so sure they even have dedicated people who can carry out the task to systematically like last year.

More people working on it? Better or faster results I say.

Did you know? Team Gaki have other things to deal with in real life, that's probably why they're taking a bit long of time to release the whole batsu.

Also, have you seen they already released the Part 5? Part 6 is also done, they are checking the video quality and the rest of the parts are being translated, don't think they only translate the videos and they're done. ;)

Kawaii~
soudou wrote:
There's actually more money in becoming a translator where individuals have to pay to hire you vs doing the work first and then earning through advertising later. I think working for a salary as a translator in a big company would be way more profitable than subbing Japanese Variety Show entertainment. :nod:

Sadly I guess there's a reason a big company like NTV haven't themselves hired translators to distribute the batsus globally. Same for any other distribution company of foreign entertainment in the West, who haven't licensed Gaki and put salaried translators onto the task of bringing over the show etc. Same for various other variety shows in Japan. Typically just anime and films get brought over because they have proven sales figures I suppose. They obviously don't see big dollar signs in it for them for the rest of Japan's entertainment or see it as too much of a risk that they won't get a return of investment on. They've tried to make Westernised alternatives of Japanese variety with celebrities and band members but the idea of simply subtitling the original show just doesn't seem like something that would have mass-market appeal to turn a decent profit I guess.

It was surprising that Pan's Labyrinth took the stance of not having any dub even when it got international recognition and came out in cinemas in the UK here and elsewhere in the world. The cinema staff even were reminding anyone who bought a ticket that there was no English language version so they didn't get complaints that there was only subtitles. It'd be nice if some company someday decided "Hey, this Gaki show seems popular on Youtube with this Silent Library etc. even though there is no dub. Maybe if we subtitle the rest of the show onto DVD people would still buy it".

In the meantime thanks J-Addicts, Team Gaki, Mickstar, GodzillaRadio, TofuPandaTeam, Zurui, Shibatabread, eChie, FlyDayChinaTown, DowntownFansubs, BlackGaki and everyone else who has subbed Gaki :)

I think Japanese companies do recognize that overseas audiences would like to watch Japanese programs too. There exist subscription cable channels with Japanese content including variety shows, though it probably depends on the company and country. Not sure whether gaki is on any of them though.
solari wrote:
I think Japanese companies do recognize that overseas audiences would like to watch Japanese programs too. There exist subscription cable channels with Japanese content including variety shows, though it probably depends on the company and country. Not sure whether gaki is on any of them though.

It's impossible to watch Japanese TV on subscription cable TV nor Japanese TV shows (Only anime is aired on the West by few channels like Toonami on [adult swim])

The only way to watch Japanese TV on the West is to find an Internet live stream :|

Kawaii~
That's not strictly true. You can buy a JSTV subscription here in the Uk to watch any Japanese shows. But mind you, it is expensive!
mickstar813 wrote:
That's not strictly true. You can buy a JSTV subscription here in the Uk to watch any Japanese shows. But mind you, it is expensive!

Interesting, though yeah it does seem expensive and from the website the only cable company offering it in the UK is TalkTalk (I'm with Virgin Media). Otherwise it seems you have to buy and setup a dish outside your house etc. so a bit of a faff. :(

It also looks like JSTV can only handpick a few things that I guess they're able to easily license to broadcast for 11 hours or so. That also includes a mix of news and anime, so it seems the variety show selection is quite small sadly (no Gaki no Tsukai or other stuff we've come across here). Having said that it's good there's any kind of option and I suppose even if Virgin Media had a Japanese TV channel it'd be much the same with a handpicked selection...

There are other options out there like getting a Slingbox but again quite pricy. I was thinking about it because I'd like to see and record some stuff from Kansai channels, seems theres less people who upload Kansai stuff online :( But for the few programs I'd need I can't really justify it right now (especially not on my budget!).
soudou wrote:
There are other options out there like getting a Slingbox but again quite pricy.

Slingbox isn't a good option as far as I'm concerned. A friend of mine tried it and was dissapointed. Not to mention a steep price.
As grateful as I am for the subtitles, I'd much rather see two teams work together. With 5 amazing subbers, we could have had the whole Batsu Game in 1-2 months :)

Oh well, guess I'll never know why... :D
37 posts Page 3 of 3