Official Batsu 2015 Discussion Thread

Hi guys, I’m pretty new here so forgive me if I sound silly but on December 31st 2013 I watched a live stream of the Batsu Game and someone called Mike and a few other guys live translated. Are they doing a live stream this year on the 31st December and are they translating the game next year? I know it’s a bit early but I was also thinking he could help out Team Gaki.

Thanx!

I’m not sure if there is a Batsu this year. There were rumors saying that it was thet last one. On the other hand, I think I watched a video where Matsumoto said there is going to be a batsu this year. I believe there are people here who will know the answer for sure.

There’s probably rumours like that but I think another is likely, as after the last batsu got such high ratings making it onto newspaper headlines one of the show producers (not Suga but another behind the scenes) made a public announcement along these lines:
"We hope to continue to grow as a special program loved by audiences in the living room on New Years. Considering the long duration of 6 hours, thank you everyone for watching."

But yeah as to the actual theme and who will be freely available to help translate it, I think its early days yet. Even if someone is kind enough to offer right now, their circumstances could change over the course of 3 months. Last year the news leaks about the theme started around November time I think.

whatever helps translating it would be great…

I’d just like to see the batsu return to a more casual/smaller production like the original batsu games were. It’s become a spectacle, when that’s not really what it was originally.

I’m sure it will have 24h batsu game this year. I read somewhere it’s gonna be "Firemen". :angel:

[quote="andylau-fr":1zfr5ibk]I’m sure it will have 24h batsu game this year. I read somewhere it’s gonna be "Firemen". :angel:[/quote:1zfr5ibk]

[hide:1zfr5ibk][img:1zfr5ibk]http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=87074&d=1406566285[/img:1zfr5ibk][/hide:1zfr5ibk]

[quote="prominent":1zfr5ibk]I’d just like to see the batsu return to a more casual/smaller production like the original batsu games were. It’s become a spectacle, when that’s not really what it was originally.[/quote:1zfr5ibk]

I think it was only smaller because of budget constraints. If Downtown had the kind of budget they have now I’m sure they would of made it as staged. After all Matsumoto is a film director! He seems happy with the direction its going in at press conferences.

I read in an interview with Housei that Matsumoto’s original idea for the batsu was to bring together people from different fields. He felt there was too much segregation between comedians and other entertainers (e.g. actors, singers etc.). In effect I think it kind of has to be a spectacle to incorporate so many different entertainers together in a melting pot.

http://yamasakigifs.tumblr.com/post/709 ... chono-face

[quote:1zfr5ibk]In it the five Gaki members - Downtown, Tsukitei Hōsei and Cocorico - take various hits from funny traps as they compete against each other to not laugh. From a hospital to an airport, it has been able to scale up year after year. Also the fact that big shot actors who do not usually appear on variety shows make an appearance to get the cast to laugh is an attraction of the show.

"It was always the case that in all variety shows the comedians amused people, but in the "Do Not Laugh" series the tables turned and it was not just them but people from all different categories of entertainment appearing, even to make the comedians themselves laugh! That’s Downtown’s amazing invention.", Hōsei raves on the innovativeness of the project, then remembering the initial planning further, "Many years ago back then, Matsumoto-san muttered it and it was eye-opening for everyone who was there, in an instant the change to the typical balance was born.", he says with amazement.[/quote:1zfr5ibk]

[quote="prominent":191ppa5j]I’d just like to see the batsu return to a more casual/smaller production like the original batsu games were. It’s become a spectacle, when that’s not really what it was originally.[/quote:191ppa5j]
Well, it seems this "style" attracts audience, so I don’t think it’s going to happen, but I would like to see this to, honestly :)

[quote="andylau-fr":191ppa5j]I’m sure it will have 24h batsu game this year. I read somewhere it’s gonna be "Firemen". :angel:[/quote:191ppa5j]
I don’t think we can believe rumors that far from the actual date. There were so many rumors last year and we got the actual theme about a month before New Year’s :)

Aren’t the batsu games recorded months before?

I watched High School the other day and Matsumoto says something like "Wha! It’s past midnight… today is my birthday!" and he was born september 8!

Yeah they are. Though maybe not the same month each year depending on their schedules. If I remember right last year info didn’t leak until early November when a racecar driver noticed they put some Earth Defence Force signage up on the racetrack building, so I guess they filmed it pretty late that year.

The thing that I liked about batsu games was the way they got them started, all of them made a bet and then the losers took part in the batsu, while the winned had influence on what they recieve…I want that to come back rather then they go willingly to get punished, just weird to me. They really pre record it that way back? I tought it was around the same month…

I know what you mean but technically they never ‘willingly’ go to get punished. If anything its the audience who now have the influence on what they receive. They really don’t want to do the tag game for example but if people want it they suffer for it. :devil: Though Matsumoto understandably gets off the hook due to his past injuries, except last year with the tickle torture!

I felt we hardly got to see the involvement of the bet winners. Usually they showed up halfway through the whole thing whilst the staff handled everything. They would occasionally pop in to mess with the others, but that still kinda happens when the staff take out a couple of members and then have them re-enter with some advantage (e.g. costume gags etc.). It’s just my preference of course, but I like seeing all of the Gaki cast throughout the special (for as long as they can manage it of course). The writer for the batsus is a long time friend of Matsumoto’s so I’m sure Downtown still have an influence over the direction of the show.

For batsus based on ‘losing’, in a way the Kiki and Karuta Cards challenge episodes has aspects of that still (e.g. Matsumoto having to go on a date with Matsuko Deluxe). They even started introducing batsus for losing the Retro Gaming challenges (maybe just so they could flick Housei in the head though :rofl: ). I wouldn’t mind seeing more of that.

No laughing Firemen 2015 CONFIRMED!!! :drunk: :drunk:

Really?? Was there any image filtered, like in previous years?

I mean, the rumor of a Firemen batsu is quite old, someday it has to be true :D

Lately it was japanese entertainment portal Natalie the one that brought fresh news about the topic. I check it from time to time… but there’s nothing about the upcoming BG :(

http://natalie.mu/owarai

[quote="WildStyle*":1anrd80a]The thing that I liked about batsu games was the way they got them started, all of them made a bet and then the losers took part in the batsu, while the winned had influence on what they recieve…I want that to come back rather then they go willingly to get punished, just weird to me. They really pre record it that way back? I tought it was around the same month…[/quote:1anrd80a]

I prefer the current way.

Why? Because I’d hate the years when Matsumoto wins the bet and is not part of the batsu game :(

I don’t know how much more 24h-no-laughing-batsu-games we have left, but I want to see Matsumoto in all of them!

Is never "Firemen" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I’d like to see something like Batsu Waiters/Cooks/Patissiers

[quote="atreyu_tiger":szj91wc2]Really?? Was there any image filtered, like in previous years?[/quote:szj91wc2]

Yeah I just found one! :wasntme:
[hide:szj91wc2][img:szj91wc2]http://i.imgur.com/lzxDCEo.jpg[/img:szj91wc2][/hide:szj91wc2][i:szj91wc2](Just kidding)[/i:szj91wc2]

Thanks soudou! It’s confirmed! :D

[quote="Knudow":1uddrxgp]Aren’t the batsu games recorded months before?

I watched High School the other day and Matsumoto says something like "Wha! It’s past midnight… today is my birthday!" and he was born september 8![/quote:1uddrxgp]
The earlier No-laughing batsu games were not aired on New year’s eve. No-laughing high school aired in october 2005. The no-laughing series only started being aired on 31 December starting with the No-laughing Police. 6 hours were given starting from Hotelman.
I think episodes are usually filmed a month or so before the airdate.