A stupid question but...

Has anybody made these into DVDS and sold them? I don’t care if there “pirated” as long as it has a nice cover on the DVD and the subtitles because obviously they aren’t gonna sell any english subs

No absolutely no, that’s Illegal

ofc a stupid one. nobody wouldnt risk they ass for such thing. i mean they even are taken really care to get the videos removed on many sites. japan is number one if it comes to copyrights. they are the reason why some people cant watch videos on certain sites and get the awesome message that your country is not supported.

u can get them legal but yes without sub. for them is not really about money. otherwise they would have sold them already with subs. they just want it for japan. maybe they even afraid of the reaction if people are able to understand them outside of japan.

[quote:defdd6y5][i:defdd6y5]Originally posted by Senkun[/i:defdd6y5]
maybe they even afraid of the reaction if people are able to understand them outside of japan.[/quote:defdd6y5]

Probably the “just for Japan” reason, but other than that this would come as a close second. Reason being I try to tell people about the awesomeness of this show in the US and everyone just looks at me in shock and horror when I tell them “Its a special they have every year where 5 comedians are required to live through the day of an average person not being allowed to laugh. If they laugh they get a nice whip in the ass.”

Everyone I tell is just like “Ok… your weird go away and never talk to me again.” Its so annoying.

[quote:x97qi1qe][i:x97qi1qe]Originally posted by DemonicDerek[/i:x97qi1qe]

Everyone I tell is just like “Ok… your weird go away and never talk to me again.” Its so annoying.[/quote:x97qi1qe]

Hahahaha… Same problem over here in Mexico… But i don’t care :P

[quote:1gqderg9][i:1gqderg9]Originally posted by OrosaMx[/i:1gqderg9]

[quote:1gqderg9][i:1gqderg9]Originally posted by DemonicDerek[/i:1gqderg9]

Everyone I tell is just like “Ok… your weird go away and never talk to me again.” Its so annoying.[/quote:1gqderg9]

Hahahaha… Same problem over here in Mexico… But i don’t care :P[/quote:1gqderg9]

xD… so Japan is weird worldwide xD…

I get a feeling that I go there for my senior year of high school I’ll fit in easier BECAUSE I AM WEIRD TOO! Lol… ok probably not xD.

But still it’d be interesting if that happened.

i think you need new friends :P

seriously though … not a good idea.

why would it be a bad idea to study abroad? Expanding your cultural horizons is never a bad idea.

Yay, people in Japan get hunted down for piracy. If I ever wanted the dvd’s I could go to the japanese dvd store thats in the city next door. Recommending this show to people who don’t know about it has proven to me that either they’ll flat out reject it or find it slightly amusing. Sometimes its hard for people to get the comedy involved when all that they are used to is the dirty comedy that has been so abundant in the U.S.

My theory:

Since Japan is such a strict and serious country where rules must be followed, with a huge moral code and complicated protocol, in terms of entertainment they like to go to the extremes. Just as a simple escape from daily routine. Therefore the odd quizzes like Takeshi’s Castle (the participants used to be employees from different companies in order to avoid stress), the fantasies of manganime, and so on.

OTOH even kids know the part of entertainment of this stuff and one will not see a kid slicing people with a sword or jumping from a high building in order to fly.

Well, that’s my theory.

The problem with Japan is they don’t give a crap about the international market. If only they realized the potential they have on the international stage…

If they would put some effort on promotion, it would spread like wild fire.

Just look at all the cheap bastardized versions of Japanese comedy shows.

Silent library has it’s own version in many countries, including Mtv’s Fist of Zen.

Takeshi’s castle has been watered down to Wipe Out(I think it’s called), but they even recently started airing the original show here in Holland, and I think other European countries(and I think it used to be or still is on Eurosport 2).

Also, more and more kiddie anime are broad-casted on tv(though I miss the days of Gundam Wing and DBZ…).

They do the same with sports. They give their international branches hardly any support.

After all, what’s important are the Japanese tv ratings.
Can’t really blame them though, just sucks for the rest of us…

well you know what they say, “No question is a stupid question”. except for the one at the begging of this thread… :devil:

[quote:10xeti2h][i:10xeti2h]Originally posted by Kyon[/i:10xeti2h]
why would it be a bad idea to study abroad? Expanding your cultural horizons is never a bad idea.[/quote:10xeti2h]

He probably was more implying that it was a bad idea to go to Japan on the sole basis of “I’m weird, so going to a weird country means I’ll fit in.”

Just to clarify, I was making a joke when stating that. I’m studying abroad in Japan simply because I like the culture. I’m truly fascinated with the amount of tradition mixed with modernization and everything. Plus the lower crime rate and coinciding greater peace of mind is nice too. Yea you have the occasional Tokyo pickpocket, but really it is a lot less likely to happen than in America. Plus there are just some cultural things I don’t like about my home country the USA, I’d go into it but I’d offend a lot of people so I’ll stop here.

Oh the other thing I love so much about Japan is the language too, I mean it really is closer to English than most people think in a lot of ways. While the writing system is completely different it certainly isn’t difficult. However, then again I have the advantage of only being 16 and thus can easily learn stuff like this, but nevertheless the language is awesome. Its extremely easy grammar structure really has me enticed.

So yeah, regardless as to whether or not that sounds cheesy I’ll be living in Japan next year. It’d be cool if my comprehension got to the point where new years next year I could watch this in my host family’s home live and without subtitles while completely understanding it.

That’s the goal anyway xD.

-Derek